Story Time: How I Met My Husband

Setting down my phone, I picked up the broom to resume sweeping the bedroom floor covered in dog hair.

Dogs. I loved them tremendously, especially mine when I came home to her, but they were absolutely the worst to clean up after. Her hair was everywhere! Even in places it shouldn't have been.

But because of her, I did tend to clean more which made me feel productive and I quite enjoyed the feeling, especially since I was rarely productive.

So after sweeping, came dry swiftering and then the wet swifter. Quick and easy.

Lily sat on the couch resting her head on the back and watching me as I decided to swifter the whole house rather than my bedroom.

Her golden eyes danced from the swifter, to me, and then to the door where I'm sure she was longing to be out of.

"We'll go in a sec," I said as I pushed the swifter under my couch, startling her.

Lily leapt from one couch to the other, trying to get as far away from this monstrous contraption as far as she could.

Dogs.

You couldn't live without them, and why would you? But they were also a pain in the neck sometimes. Lily especially.

Here's the thing about my gal, she's this medium forty pound canine who could probably take a grown man down if she wanted to, but she was a complete Scooby-Doo and there was no type of Scooby snack to change that. So we were working on that.

By working on this troublesome anxious dog, I incorporated a daily routine of walks. Yes, twice daily we would venture out into the great unknown and she would grow a little used to the world. So far she was petrified of the neighborhood but absolutely wonderful in the park. One was more heavily populated than the other. Don't ask me, I'm not sure why outside of her comfort zone she became Xena the warrior, but it worked.

Anyway, as I finished my chores for the day, I went for the almighty leash and harness. She was already whining by the door, mainly because I had put on my walking shoes prior to this. The leash just added to the whole excitement. It was time!

Time to barrel out the door, dragging me along, preventing me from closing and locking my door. I don't care where you live or how well you know the neighbors, lock that door!

So after wrangling this forty pound monster back onto the porch, I was able to lock my door. Before you go, "wrangling? Really?" know that any excited dog is nearly impossible to control with one hand.

Now she wasn't sure where we were going, so she did this cute little hesitation tilt before sticking her nose to the ground and then popping a squat. To save my dog the confusion, and my arm from being pulled from the socket, I said, "Park." Which is automatic dog code for something because this girl just knows.

To save the boring explanation of what comes next a.k.a the long excruciating drive where I have to pull off the road and physically trap my dog in the back seat to keep her from interfering with my driving. Cue the horrifying screeching. She hates car rides, who knew.

But a stopped car is a good sign. She knows this. It means we have reached the land of wonderous smells and bathrooms galore. Yes, oh yes, the great park of adventures.