Another Me

"What if the child is a girl?"

"Then we'll name her..." he placed a hand to her belly just as his words faded into silence. She could tell from the way her lowered his head to stare at her round belly and the crease that appeared between his brows that he was deep in thought.

"What about after your mother?" She ran her fingers through his silky dark brown locks and smiled, "It's so hard to decide on a girls name and your mother is the only woman I could really think of who deserves the honor more."

"What about your mum?" He asked her.

"You know how things are between us," she replied softly while dropping her hand to his shoulder. "We hardly talk as it is now."

"I know," he sighed deeply, his blue eyes fixed on the large belly that contained his first child. "Have you spoken to her about the baby?"

Henry Cavill sat back on the couch, he was now looking up at his girlfriend of three years, his soon to be fiance if she said yes. When she shook her head in response, his eyes dropped back to her stomach.

As if she knew what was going through his mind, she placed a hand to her belly, smiled softly and said, "Do not worry, I will not have the kind of relationship my mother and I have with our child."

"I do not doubt it," he leaned forward, his hands clasped together with his elbows on his knees. Henry pressed his forehead against his hands, closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

Two pair of hands found his tense shoulders and began working out the knots, "This pregnancy has you stressed out more than it does me," she rested her chin on his shoulder and smiled, "I feel like it's because you're carrying my stress as well as your own."

Henry lifted his head so that he could turn and look at her, "Is that so?"

"Mhm," she nodded her head, "We both know what happens when I'm stressed."

"That. We. Do," Henry leaned back, careful not to crush her as he pulled her into his arms. He ran a hand through her silver hair, brushing it back from her face. A smile teased his lips as he stared at her face. "I love you."

"I love you too," she said back, her smile growing much larger than his. "I am happy we are having a child together."

"As am I," he placed his other hand to her belly again and kissed the top of her head. Just as his hand rested gently against her stomach, she felt the baby growing inside her kick just where Henry had placed his hand. Her eyes grew wide as she looked up at him, Henry started to chuckle from both her reaction and the baby. "I think he or she agrees."

She placed both her hands over his and stared at her belly, tears welling up in her eyes, "I think she does too."

"She?" He moved his head so that his lips were closer to her ear. "And how exactly do you know our child is a girl?" He asked her.

With a look that said she was purely innocent, despite not being so, she said, "I might have peeked in the envelope."

His eyebrow rose high above his eye as he stared at her, and then he smiled, "I might have done the same."

"Well you're an actor, you get paid to fake things," she said, "How am I going to pull of acting surprised when the party happens?"

"I think you are a pretty great actress," he played with a strand of her hair while he spoke, "just start crying, they'll never be able to tell the difference."

Lightly, she smacked his arm and glared at him playfully. Henry only smiled when she rose to her feet. He had a plan, one that would draw away from her false act of surprise at the gender reveal party and would bring real tears of joy to her eyes.

"But that's between you and I, boy," he said to his dog as the bear came up to rest his head on Henry's thigh. Kal's tail thumped madly against the wooden coffee table and the couch as he received the attention he wanted.

"What's between you and Kal?" She said as she reentered the room with a bowl of ice cream and a jar of pickles.

"Nothing," he said with a mischievous grin, "Are you going to share that?"

"Are you going to tell me this secret you have with our dog?"

Henry pondered it for a moment, "In time."

"No pickles and ice cream for you then," she replied while hugging the bowl and pushing the jar further out of his reach.

"Fine," Henry went to stand up, "I'll go make my own bowl." He said to her as he moved past Kal to leave the living room.

She sat on the couch, her eyes glued to the black screen of the television and waited while she ate her ice cream in silence with Kal sitting to the side and watching her carefully.

She listened to the heavy footsteps against tile and the slamming of the freezer door followed by a curse on her name.

"You ate it all?"

"Maybe?" She said with the spoon inches from her mouth.

Henry leaned against the couch to grab it at her wrist. She was slow in the process of moving out of his reach, so she fought extremely hard when he tried to pull her hand toward  his mouth.

"Mineee!" She cried out through her laughter as she fought with him.

In the end, Kal won. In a desperate attempt not to share her ice cream, as cruel as it was, she flung the spoon along with the ice cream that had been on it.

"I am not cleaning that up," was Henry's response as Kal licked the vanilla ice cream into their the gray wool rug that covered their floor.

"Do we need to?"

She turned to watch as Henry placed both hands on the back of the couch, lowered his hear and sighed deeply.

"Just think, another me will be arriving soon."

"I just realized that," he replied.

•••

Oh hi, I am still alive. I have just been stressing to the max so writing has been bit of a struggle for me. I even thought by publishing books that don't require a lot of thought into them would be helpful but it seemed I was struggling altogether.
I did have to force myself to make time to write today, however.
I promise those request are coming. I wrote them down somewhere... 👀
I believe this one could also pass as a requested one as well, I just can't remember who asked.