Coffee Talk

Head bent, face practically pressed into her notebook, pen scribbling away across lined paper. Beside her a half empty mug sat. Every millisecond or so her head would turn and her eyes would lock onto the phone beside her.

She sat like this for an hour. Ever since the cafe opened. It was a part of her morning routine. Wake up, stretch, go for a morning walk and reward herself with a cup of coffee at a cafe in the end. A different cafe every morning. It was apart of her new life.

"Would you like anything else?" This cafe catered to their people. It was nothing like a simple "Here's what you ordered" and they left you alone. No, these people took their time to engage in conversation to get to know you. That was how you turned customers into regulars.

"No," she said, tearing her gaze away from her book long enough to produce a friendly smile. "I'm about done and will just finish- wait," she realized the time and that she needed to go to the store after this. "Do y'all have smoothies?"

"We sure do, but the only kind we really have at the moment is strawberry banana."

"A classic," she replied, "I'll take it. Need some fuel to get me to the grocery store."

"Would you like a water as well?"

She hesitated before replying, "Certainly."

As the girl left to add on to her tab, she became aware of a pair of eyes staring at her. She did not stare back, afraid of making eye contact. Eye contact always brought on unwanted conversations and this cafe was already five steps out of her comfort zone.

She paid for her drinks. Then, she decided to ask the girl if there were any other cafes in the area. "My goal is to get coffee from a new cafe every morning."

"Sounds expensive."

"Surprisingly cheaper than going to Starbucks every morning. And if I don't like the coffee I tried at a new cafe, I just go home and make a new cup. It's all about stepping out of my comfort zone... and exploring the town."

The waitress nodded her head and then thought about other places around them, "There's Joe's. I hear from some of our regulars that they have pretty decent coffee and food. There's also that new vegan bakery that opened up two weeks ago. No reviews yet, but I don't think you're looking for recommendations."

"They would be a bonus."

"There's one south of here," the voice came from the pair of eyes a table across from me. He sipped his coffee nonchalantly, blue eyes flickering from the waitress to me. With his black hat and the white mug, it was no wonder all I saw were eyes.

"Oh right!" The girl exclaimed, "Oasis, good place. Been there a few times... just don't tell my boss."

Though she wanted to comment, she remained quiet as she picked up her bag, slinging it over her shoulder, and stood up. "Well thank you both, I shall try all three this week. And I'll bring you a review on the bakery. Can't resist vegan baked goods. I feel slightly less guilty for indulging as I would just any ordinary pastry or such."

"I look forward to hearing about it, and your thoughts on the other places. Do you have a blog or instagram page for your reviews?"

"Nope," she replied, pushing in her chair. "Doing this for myself."

"You should, might even get a few sponsors or something... like starting up a traveling blog."

She shrugged her shoulders, "So many already do it. But it is something to consider. Perhaps even find a way to stand out while being like everyone else?"

"I like it. If you ever do start one let me know. I'd love to advertise it here in the shop. We always get tourist looking for places to go."

"If not me, maybe you should do it." She said with an encouraging smile. "Your idea after all."

"Couldn't afford a new place every day."

"Neither can I," she said. "But I've started to budget myself. Any extra I have leftover after bills and groceries is pretty much put towards this new adventure of coffee tasting. I also limit  myself to one cup per day to keep it reasonable. And it doesn't necessarily have to be a coffee shop. It could be anything, anywhere."

"Hmm," the girl hummed. Before she could say anything more, the door opened and a family walked in. She said goodbye before darting off to see to them.

Forgetting the stranger, she took this chance to leave the cafe while she could. All that talking put her behind on her schedule and she knew her anxious best friend at home would not appreciate any delay in his afternoon run.

"Miss!" She kept on walking, hoping the call was not for her. "Miss, you forgot something."

She stopped briefly to turn, acting as if out of curiosity... but it was. She was curious to know who was calling and if after her.

Her question was answer. He was tall, the stranger from the cafe. And large. He jogged after her, her pale blue journal in his hand. She felt her body heat up, her face no doubt red from embarrassment.

"Thank you," she barely whispered, accepting the book held out to her. "I must have forgot to put it away."

"I was going to say something back inside but you were already gone." He was smiling down at her, she noticed. It was a kind, warm smile. The sort that was contagious.

She smiled sheepishly back, "I appreciate that you brought it to me."

"No, of course!" He said, "I figured it was important from the way you were so engrossed in it."

Slightly taken aback, her smile frozen in place as she stared up at him. She noticed his change in demeanor. His face flushed a faint pink. He had openly admitted to watching her back in the cafe and now felt embarrassed about it.

"It is important," she finally said, her smile turning into a genuine one. "It's filled with quotes I love that either motivate me or inspire me. Every morning I make it a task to fill as many pages as I can."

The pinkness in his cheeks faded and his smile returned. His blue eyes fixed on her. "I wasn't sure how to approach you earlier," he began, "I was wondering if you would accompany me one morning for a cup of coffee."

She stood before him, her mind all but blank. Inside her stomach the feeling of fluttering wings flourished as it had that morning and throughout the time she was in the cafe. Gut instinct.

"How can I say no?" She asked herself.

He let out of shaky laugh, "So that's a yes?"

She nodded her head. "Of course it is," she told him.

"Oh!" He exclaimed as if remembering something important, "I've seem to forgotten my manners, my name is Henry."

Henry held out his hand. She placed her left hand into his massive right, "A pleasure, Henry. I'm Cassie."

•••

This coffee queen was in the midst of writing in her quote journal when inspiration hit. Pray God, my wee little flame burns... well not on my Casablanca Lily candle...
Anyone else get one from Bath & Body works? I bought two and they both die out the second use.
Anyway, irrelevant.

Here is another story for you lovelies. One much longer.

Wouldn't it be funny if Henry read fan fictions on himself.