Miscommunication

The front door slammed shut, the force from the impact rattling the windows and even knocking down a picture that hung in the hall. She ignored it, however, her blood already boiling from the heated argument she had just gotten into with her boyfriend.

She wanted nothing more than to scream and break stuff, but this was her house and breaking stuff wasn't nearly as fun as it used to be. Not when in the end it resulted in you having to cough up your own money to replace it.

It was frustrating, not being able to do anything to quell her anger. She was beyond furious with him, not because he had been right, but because he barely gave her a chance to explain anything. All she wanted to do was to express how she was feeling, and of course, it had been twisted into something it was not. He got the wrong impression and words that should not have been said, were.

She collapsed onto the sofa, her mind reeling. Fresh hot tears poured down her cheeks. It was starting to eat away at her. Pretty soon she'd stop crying out of frustration and start crying from being sad. Sad about the stupid argument that had happened and caused a rift between the man she loved and herself.

How would they come back from this? Was there even a way of coming back from this? The more she thought about it, the more she hated herself for it all. Never in their three years of dating did he ever storm out of her house angry about what had just happened.

Was there a way to make this better? Could she salvage her relationship before it was too late? Was it too late?

She dried her eyes and got up. She had to find her phone and soon.

It didn't take long. Her phone had been left on the kitchen counter where she had been reading one of her books when he came in. He seemed tense the moment he walked in the door. Perhaps she chose the wrong time to attempt to spring her feelings onto him. Perhaps he had had a horrible day at work and instead of asking, she started an argument.

A sigh passed through her lips, she rubbed her head gently and picked up her phone. How could she be such a shitty girlfriend?

She scrolled through her contact for his number and pressed send the moment his name popped up. It rang for awhile until she was finally sent to voicemail.

"Henry, it's me... though I'm sure you'll already know. I'm sorry. Come home, please?"

She ended the call and leaned against the counter with her arms crossed. She stared up at the ceiling, silently praying to God that he would aid her in some way. Even in the smallest, she would be grateful. She loved her boyfriend, she really did. She didn't want her mistake to be the end of three years.

Hours ticked on and still no response. She called several times after the first and even left quite a few text messages to which all he had in fact, read. Now she was devastated. There really was no going back, was there? Perhaps he just needed space. She needed to stop overthinking things. Their argument had been one of the worsts and if his day was no better than he just needed to be alone. Yes, that was it.

But even as another hour went by, she still couldn't help but wonder a great deal of things. Her thoughts had driven her to call him again, and texting more than ever. She asked if he still wanted to be with her, she begged him to stay.

After another hour, she placed down the phone, curled up on the sofa and began to watch movies. Ridiculous romantic movies that only made her mood worse than it already was.

So she switched to Netflix where she began watching just about every horror film Netflix had to offer. She long forgot about her argument with Henry earlier that day. She was terrified beyond her wits at this point.

She hated horror films and they way they made her feel as if there was someone in the house that very moment, standing over her and watching her. The feeling suddenly felt stronger.

Slowly, she turned her head. The first thing she saw were the hand on the back of the sofa before she finally saw the torso and then the face. She let out the loudest high pitched scream. Along with her scream came a deep bark and suddenly a bear popped up on the couch.

"Why are you in the dark watching scary movies?" he asked, walking away to flick on the living room light.

Kal licked at her face, checking to see if she was okay before laying down on her lap to demand she gives him the affection he had been deprived of for months.

"Because... Why did you have to scare me like that?" tears welled up in her eyes as she stared at him.

Henry turned around to face her, "I-I didn't mean to," he replied softly, walking toward her. "I didn't expect you to be watching a scary movie when I came home."

"I didn't know you were coming home..."

He walked around the couch to sit down beside her. Kal's tail thumped loudly against the cushions as he crawled closer toward Henry.

"I'm sorry," he pulled her into his arms and hugged her, ignoring the wet nose nudging at his arm. "I could have handled that so much better."

"I should be the one who is sorry," she mumbled against his chest. "And I am, truly. I just don't know how to put how I'm feeling into words and sometimes it just all comes out wrong."

His lips pressed firmly against her forehead. "We will work on it," he pushed Kal away who was trying his hardest to wedge between them. "I love you."

"I love you too," she wrapped her arms around him and buried her face into his chest. "I know I'm a pain in the ass, but please don't leave me for the next few months... maybe up to a year. I have no idea how long it will take me to recover from the horrors of tonight."

His deep chuckle filled the small living room. "If I really have to leave you, I will leave Kal to protect you. Nothing will ever mess with you while you have him around."

Kal succeeded in wedging between them this time. Happy, he licked both their faces and then laid on with his head on Henry's lap.

"How can something so cute and loving be so scary and vicious?" she joked, leaning down to kiss the top of the furry child's head.

• a.n •

I may or may not have been procrastinating. I may or may not have also knocked out a request. I also know I do not like this, but it's the best I could do and since this week is a busy one, I wanted to at least try to get something out.

I do have idea lined up, the problem is writing them 😬