How I Met Henry [VI]

For twenty minutes, neither one of us spoke. I did, however, uncross my arms and dropped the attitude so I was no longer glaring out the window as we drove past nothing but trees. I sat with my elbow propped up on the door to support my head, while my other arm just kind of awkwardly laid in my lap. If anything, I was really uncomfortable and fighting just about every ounce of desire I had to kick off my shoes and tuck my legs under me. I was never one to sit like this in a car... or when eating.

Henry cleared his throat which got my attention. I lifted my head off my hand and turned to look at him. He looked a little uneasy and I was wondering if he was feeling awkward about our situation. I could see his blue eyes darting from the road to me and back.

"Would you like some music?" he then finally asked as he used his free arm to reach for the radio. I sat up in my seat and turned my body away from the window so that I could face him and be comfortable.

"No," I said to him softly. "It's fine, plus it'd probably be interrupted by that thing."

"You're probably right," he said as he chuckled softly and returned his hand back to the wheel.

He kept both his hands on the wheel and his eyes on the road as he drove. I suppose to avoid getting caught looking over at me, but then again, I was staring at him. In fact, my elbow was propping up my head, yet again, but this time it was resting on the center console and I was trying not to lean so close to Henry.

Not once did he take his eyes off the road to look at me, so I eventually stopped staring at him and turned my head to looking out at the road in front of us.

The drive was quite long and rather uneventful other than the occasional update from the navigation system. I had finally sat up in my seat, now familiar with where we were. Face almost pressed up against the glass, I stared at the condos that had yet to change since I was a little girl.

"Memories," I nearly whispered as we continued driving further down the road.

"Memories?" he repeated pulling my attention away from the familiar houses. "So then you know where we are?"

"I do," I replied with a grin as I watched him reach to turn off the navigation system. "All we need is to continue down this road. It won't be hard to miss, actually. There is a lion crossing sign usually in the median."

And as we drove with the flow of traffic, I turned back, overwhelmed with emotion, toward the familiar streets, waiting for one street in paticular.

We came up to the road I was patiently waiting for, the road that lead to my childhood. The road that no longer housed a single reminder of my memories. The light was red and I turned to Henry and pointed.

"Somewhere down that road is where I used to live. The car lots, they weren't there went I was a child. Pretty sure my daycare was torn down as well, we'll see in a sec." The light turned and as we drove on, I saw that I was in fact, right. "Yep, gone. All I have left are the memories... of being chased onto the big tractor tires by a turkey."

"A turkey?" he chuckled as he got over, which confused me. "Care to tell me this story?"

"Sure," I said as my brows furrowed together, "After you tell me why you're turning."

"That," he grinned as he drove back to the light and to get into the turning lane. "Is because you are going to show me where you lived."

"Oh..." I looked away for a second. "But it's gone. The house I grew up in? When my grandparents sold it, the new owners tore it down and built a more modern home. Plus I don't remember the street. What if we get lost?"

"We have this," he said as she tapped the GPS.

"Very well," I sat back in my seat and smiled. "I've always wanted to see this new house in person anyway."

The light finally turned green and we made our way down Solana rd. Something in me told me to turn at the first road, so that is what I instructed Henry to do and he did. For awhile I was confused as we passed some streets; Highlands, Trail Terrance, Sperling, Michigan... wait?

"I think we just passed it," I said as I started to think that street name over. It seemed familiar.

Henry pulled over to let the car behind us pass and then went to turn around. As we neared Michigan ave I couldn't help but feel excited, like I was being reconnected with a part of me.

We drove for a little, and nothing seemed familiar until we reached a house, one I didn't exactly recongize at first since it had been changed a little, but it was still a house I could never forget.

"See that house?" I asked Henry as we slowly drove by it.

"Was that it?"

"No, the next one, but I'll get to that in a second. That house, was the home of my first ever love, Kyle."

"Your first love?" he turned to me with a raised brow.

"Yes, I was in love with him for years. Used to steal his balls too."

"What?"

"His basketballs!" I laughed. "They'd roll over through the trees and I'd take them and hide them under my bed if they could fit. Anyway, that house," I pointed to the ugly modern looking thing with bushes for fences. "Is what replaced my childhood home. The original houses, because there were three, sat back from the road. These bushes are new. The tore down the really huge tree that sat in the front yard, and I guess removed my Great Grandma's gardenia bushes. I loved those things. Reason why gardenias are my favorite. Anyway, the front house was like two in one. There was a two bedroom on one side, and I guess a one bedroom, guest room attached to the back. Beside that house was like a really small orange tree grove and then there was another driveway that led to the guesthouse in the back. And next to that was like a crap ton of trees that acted like a fence. Looking at this now, it's hard to image that was once all there."

Henry rested his elbow on the door as he rubbed his chin and stared out the window. "Do you have pictures?" he asked.

"Yeah, I'm sure my mom still has some. Now moving along," and that is what he did as he drove forward. "That house across from where mine was, was once the house to a family friend. That one there, was the home of one of my best friends. I had another best friend, but her house was further done and I don't remember it."