Chapter 5

God it's so hot today. The sun is blazing down on everyone at the lake which is just past the main center of camp. Even though I'm inside a freezing concession stand, I could still tell it was scorching outside. It's been really busy with everyone ordering snow comes and water, but I was able to rope Austin into helping me.

"Another blue!" Called Austin. I quickly grabbed a white cup and filled it with ice and syrup, handing it to Austin.

"Here ya go!" He said cheerfully.

"Uh, thanks." Said the girl uninterested in Austin entirely. After she walked away, Austin slumped his shoulders and sighed.

"How is it that you're nineteen, single, you have every girl throwing themselves at you, and you don't even care?" He asked desperately. I glanced over at Vic sitting up in the lifeguard's tower, looking like a god. Lust is supposed to be sinful right?

I like watching him keep everyone in line, and sitting up there shirtless all hot and sweaty, blowing his whistle at kids. It really is hot out here today. I kept checking out the dark and muscular boy.

It's peculiar that I'm the only guy here who is checking out another boy. I know I am. It's almost something forbidden at a place like this. But what are they gonna do? Catch Vic and I make us leave? That's a lot better than things they used to do to people like us. They can think what they want, but I'm never changing who I am for anyone. Even if that means some kind of persecution, I really don't care. I'm just not going to stir conflict on my own. This whole time I'm practically undressing Vic, even though he's not wearing much to start with.

"Kellin!" Austin's voice makes me snap out of it, "Kellin did you hear what I said at all?" He asked chuckling slightly.

"Oh uhm, yeah sorry. I don't know, I just don't. Most of them are creepy and I don't like people who throw themselves at someone." I said casually. I avoided the real reason because I'm not entirely sure how Austin feels about the whole gay thing. He shook his head in disapproval.

"Kellin I would love to be you or Vic. One of you can so much as glance at them and they freak out, but me? They don't even show any interest in me. Normally I like hard to get, but these girls are so repressed that they have no boundaries." He complained. I laughed. He has a great point, these girls are seriously crazy. It's a little gross to watch them come onto Vic and I can't even imagine how the normal, nice girls feel about it. It's a little funny how neither me or Vic cares about what the girls think.

Soon the sun was starting to set and everyone was tearing down all the water stuff. Austin went to go help the others while I took care of the snow cone stand, cleaning everything up and making sure nothing was left out.

All of a sudden I turn to the window and see a dark-skinned shirtless boy. He smirked at the startled look on my face.

"Hey." He said.

"Hey... do you need something?" I asked curious about why he was over here and not helping the others.

"I need you to stop staring." He teased, winking at me. I turned around and continued putting the various syrups back in the mini-fridge.

"And I need you to put on a shirt." I sassed back.

"You better watch it Kellin." He said warningly.

"What are you gonna do?" I sassed even more.

"Let's just say it's not very church appropriate." He winked then walked away. Man it's really hot out here.

-----

After everything was taken care of at the lake, we all went to dinner then back to the room to get cleaned up for evening service. I got showered and put on a black button-up and white skinny jeans.

The other guys were all changing out in the open, but I didn't stare at them the way I would with Vic. I don't want to make them uncomfortable, plus they're just my friends. Vic on the other hand, just walked out in nothing but a stupid towel. He smirked at me making me glare heavily at him. He grabbed his clothes and walked back into the bathroom. He is crazy.

I don't think anyone saw that. Only Alan, Austin, and Josh are in here and they're just chatting away on Alan's bed. Phew that was close. I really need to get to band rehearsal.

I walk out and all the way to the huge chapel, still thinking about how close Vic just came to making people ask questions.

-----

After my set I walked backstage only for someone to take my hand and pull me to the side, scaring the crap out of me.

"Vic what's your problem?!" I yelled quietly. He laughed then brought his lips to my ear.

"Meet me by the lake after concessions are over." He whispered. He walked away before I could even say a word.