Chapter 2~ What He's Been Missing

WHAT HE'S BEEN MISSING

Thomas woke up with a little hung over. He reached to his side, hoping to touch another body but his expectation failed him. Jurri must have waked up early. He opened his heavy eyelids and see the sun has fully risen. There's the smell of hot chocolate from the mug on his bed-side table with a sticky note saying, "good morning sleepy head :)"

He sat up and rubbed his face with his two palms. He smiled, this is what he used to like about his wife. She never gets tired of the things she does. Does he still like her being sweet around him? That is what he is not certain of.

"A time to be happy is.." his wife's voice trailed off in a sing-song sound. He looked at the door and saw it was slightly open.

"Now!" A little voice followed with the same melody.

"A place to be happy is.." Jurri's voice sang again.

"Is here!" His son's little voice responded again.

"And the way to be happy is.."

Thomas stood up and picked up his hot chocolate. He walked his way out of the room.

"Is to make others happy.." they continued singing. Thomas found his wife and son in the living room sitting on the floor with papers and crayons scattered around them.

"And to build a little heaven down here!" he watched them as they sang in chorus. Jurri and Tommie did a silly action and laughed after. Thomas remembered how he used to do silly things with Jurri before; he used to make her laugh and smile.

"Mommy, what is heaven?" his son asked and tilted his head towards his wife.

Thomas watched as her wife opened but ended up closing it again. He bet, she's thinking of a childish way to answer their son's question. He wonder how Jurri can manage to be with Tommie all day long, knowing that their son is as loud and annoying as a fire alarm. Or is it that he's just not good in dealing with kids.

"Well baby, Heaven is a place where there are tons of clouds and rainbows and light and even unicorns!" Indeed her wife's answer is childish.

"Are there babies like me?" Tommie asked.

"Yes! There are babies like you and there are also angels too! They have white fluffy wings and they can fly.." His wife answered, flapping her hands mocking a pair of wings.

"I want wings too!" Tommie answered and imitated what Jurri is doing. "I want to fly, mommy!"

Thomas watched as Tommie ran around the couch and Jurri followed, chasing their son around. He continue watching them, this is what he will be breaking. But Jurri is a strong woman, she can surely move on from him, Thomas thought. He plans to keep Tommie and make his son be a part of the new family he is going to build.

Jurri caught Tommie, they slumped at the couch. Thomas could hear his son's giggles from Jurri's tickles. Is this how happy both of them every day? He has no idea because he always leave early for work.

"I love you, mommy! So so much!" Tommie shouted and squeezed his mommy's face.

"I love you too baby!" Jurri exclaimed and showered Tommie's face with little kisses.

"Good morning." He interrupted and when he felt their eyes on him, he took a sip of his hot chocolate.

"Good morning, sleepy head." Jurri greeted him back with a smile. Tommie escaped from Jurri's arms and sat back on the floor.