Chapter 4~ Her Wishes

Her wishes

Thomas saw how his wife's head looked at him abruptly. Sadness was painted all over her face and immediately, his guilt started to rise. But no matter how guilty he is, he made himself look calm and sure. There's no going back now.

"You're serious, aren't you?" Jurri asked after a long silence.

"You think I'm joking?" He asked with a little hint of anger.

Thomas stared at his wife and waited for her reply but Jurri just continued eating. He's not sure if he's going to say another word again but he is more not sure what his wife is thinking. Will he be able to control his wife's burst of emotions? He looked down to his plate while contemplated the things that are happening and the words he just said. He heard Jurri's utensils made contact with the plate, he slowly looked to her and saw that she's already done. She was looking at him, deeply; her eyes were like looking beyond his. Then she smiled.

"Can we talk about this tomorrow? I might not understand you right now. I'm pretty sleepy and tired. Tommie got me use up all my energy." said Jurri, her smile never fading.

"Of course." that was all what Thomas can say. He wanted to explain why he wanted a divorce but of course he wouldn't tell that he's having an affair with his secretary. He's planning to tell an explanation out of lies but he can't seem to find the right words.

"Just put the left over away. I'll be going ahead to bed." she said and stood up, leaving Thomas alone in the kitchen.

Thomas watched his wife walked away from the kitchen. He was left there, sitting alone with the dim lights. He wondered why Jurri just smiled at his announcements when it obviously shows that she's hurt. It's in her eyes, he have hurt her emotionally. But then, there was also something different about the smile, a kind of smile he can't fathom.

He stood up and started to put away all the left over. He felt that something is off but he quickly dismissed the feeling. He blew all the candles and turned the light brighter. He saw a book-like placed on the wine counter. He walked closer to it, it was freshly made. It's what Jurri usually gives him during their... He felt cold overwhelmed him as he remembered. How can he be so stupid? Maybe that was why she asked him if he was joking.

"Shit." he muttered inwardly. He has hurt her more than he expected. He just ruined their anniversary.

Jurri hoped she was hearing it wrong or maybe he was just plainly joking. But then she realized he wasn't. Then slowly the words penetrated inside her mind and it sent a thousand daggers inside her. Who could thought that words would hurt more than her leukaemia tantrums? She shook her head and bitterly smiled at herself.

She left her husband in the kitchen because she had no idea how and what to react. She ran out of words, she felt her world stop. Jurri decided to finally turn the shower off, she's already shivering out of cold. She faced herself in the mirror, she still looks the same but soon, she knows, she's going to look like a zombie. Thin and sickly.

She opened the cabinet behind the mirror; she grabbed the small bottle where she put her pills. She stared at the bottle but then she decided to put it inside the cabinet again. After all, she is already in pain, a pain no medicine can cure.

"Hey." she said as she jolted in surprise. Thomas was already standing in front of their bathroom door when she went out.

"Hi." he responded then he lowered herself to hers, "Were you crying?"