Chapter 1

Duncan's household, Denver, 8:00pm, Gabe's POV

The boy sat in their basement. On the couch as usual instead of doing homework. "Kids, come to the living room! We have huge news!" His mom called. Being the ignorant teen he was, he ignored her and continued playing on his gameboy.
"Gabe! Up here, now!" She yelled again, more sternly this time. He groaned and reluctantly sat down his gameboy before heading upstairs to the living room.

He climbed up the stairs to see his family gathered together, sat on the mismatched furniture. His little sister Charlie was sat on the couch, seeming to inch as far away as she could from their little brother sat on the other side. His dad occupied the armchair with his mother stood beside it. He quickly plopped down between his two younger siblings while uttering, "Oh don't tell me it's another kid."

His mom shook her head, moving her arms in an "X" formation, "Oh no, no, five children's enough."

"Really? I thought three was good. Just saying, no offence to the other two, I just prefer not being a middle child. The youngest kid gets away with everything." He looked over at his younger brother Toby, "Lucky duck."

Charlie had her own opinion she was ready to share. Now seven years old, she's grown more talkative. "I disagree, four is better than three. No need for the fifth one...We can still send him back, right?"

"Look, we're not delivering any of you guys back to the hospital or to grandma, okay?" Their dad Bob stated. He added on jokingly, "It's too much paperwork."

"Ha-ha, very funny dad," Gabe responded, sarcasm clear in his tone.

"Seriously? There's no way to send that demon child back?" Charlie asked, gesturing to Toby who was clapping his hands together. He had just started doing that a few weeks ago.

"Charlie, your brother's not a 'demon child', it's not nice to call him that," Bob crossed his arms, subtly chuckling,

"Mrs. Dabney calls me 'devil child' and you're fine with that," Gabe countered.

"Well you can't really blame--" Bob started before being interrupted by his wife, Amy.

"Guys! This family meeting's supposed to be about my big news!" She exclaimed, annoyed by the turn of the conversation. Everyone quieted down, almost frightened to make a sound. "As I was saying...Drumroll please." Spooked to disobey, they all proceeded to drum on a nearby object. "I got a job offer!" A wave of cheers sounded.

"Yay mommy!" Charlie cheered, waving her arms in the air happily while Toby clapped his hands together again.

"That's great mom, can I go back to playing videogames now?" Gabe told her, pointing to the stairs.

"Not yet, it gets better! My new job is in New York and we'll be moving there in a week! Yay!" Bob continued the applaud with Toby but Charlie and Gabe's celebrations came to an abrupt stop.

"You're kidding right? My whole life is in Denver, we can't just leave everything right now. I have a girlfriend, Lauren, remember her? And friends, Jake, remember him? The kid with red hair?" Gabe freaked out contrary to what his parents had expected.

Amy shot Bob a look before turning to Gabe. She kept her voice calm and still, "Calm down sweetie. It's going to be fine, they'll understand. Distance doesn't automatically equal distant. Long distance friendships and relationships can last." She walked over to him, resting a hand on his shoulder as reassurance.

He shook her hand off, his blood boiling. "Mom! No they can't! Why would you tell me now, one week before we leave?! Were you just expecting me to be like, 'Okay, guess I'll just abandon my social life. No problem!' Mom!" He slapped his hands over his face, still angered by the fact that he had to move to a new state, full of new surroundings, and new people.