Chapter 40

Hart-Hunter Household, New York, 12:00am, General POV

Maya had already gone to bed, for some reason giddy about the dance tomorrow.

Shawn however, being the protective father he was, vented to Katy all the reasons why Maya shouldn't hang out with Gabe.

"He's a bad influence, a rebel," He claimed. She raised a brow at him, "I know I was one too, but--"

She interrupted him, "Shawn, Gabe's a reliable boy Maya can depend on. Don't you see her smile when she's with him? Or when she talks about him? Shes starting to have hope, Shawn. Just look at her smile. Its so genuine and so..So happy. I haven't seen her that way since before Kermit left. Can't you just let her have this?"

He couldn't resist after hearing that he makes her smile, "Fine Katy, I'll give him one more chance. I'm helping chaperone the dance. We'll see if he's really good enough for our daughter."

"Fine, do what you gotta do. But I know that shes happy with him. Even if you don't see it." And with that, she left to her bedroom as she had work the following morning.

Shawn sat on the couch, rethinking everything he had said and been told. The reason he was so reluctant about Maya being with Gabe was because he had that same exact smile with Angela. And look how that turned out, she left. He was worried the same would happen to Maya, and she'd never let herself hope again. Then he thought about how he felt around Katy, he had an identical smile to Maya's as well. Look how well that turned out, they're married now. Now he was confused. Which scnerio should he listen to? After a long while of thinking, he finally came to a decision. One that took a lot of hope.

"I'll let them jump."

Matthews Household, New York, 12:45am, General POV

Riley had long fallen asleep, as did Auggie. The only two up were Cory and Topanga.

"Shawn's a stubborn and protective guy, I don't know if he'll let them go through with this. He almost never changes his mind on something," Cory spoke.

"But I know Katy. And she'll fight for what she believes is right. Whenever we talk, she always brings up the fact that she's overjoyed Maya's found another reason to smile. She won't let him split them up," Topanga countered.

"Two powerful forces. Its like fighting fire with fire, only one will burn longer, who will it be?"
They looked to each other, "Shawn."

"Katy."

Hey! Sorry for the short chapter! I'll try to work on some new chapters over the weekend. Thank you for reading and voting, it truly means so much to me. :)
I hope you enjoyed this chapter, I'll see you in the next one, byeeeee!