Chapter 25

Matthews' Household, New York, 11:00pm, General POV

"There is no such thing as forever..No such thing," Riley wept as she hugged her teddy bear. He had awaited them there in her room, with open arms, as always. 

"But there is...Hope," Maya admitted.

"I thought you said hope was for suckers." Riley smiled weakly, it felt good that her best friend was beginning to have hope.

"It can be..But not always."

"Is this about Gabe, Maya?" Maya looked down at the floor.

"Maybe..I don't know."

"Mom, is this a part of growing up?" Riley asked her mom.

"Yeah..It is, Riley," Topanga replied.

"Maya, do you have hope for you and Gabe?" Riley asked and turned to her best friend.

Maya lifted her gaze from the floor, to meet her best friend in her eyes. "..I guess I do," She confessed. Riley beamed at her. "But we're not talking about my feelings right now. We're talking about yours, Riles."

"Oh...Right. What do we do from here?"

"I don't know, Riles. Topanga?" 

"You carry on. You stay strong like the women you are, and you learn from this. You thrive through this sudden darkness and come out stronger than before. That's what you do from here," Topanga told them.

"Woah," The two responded, clearly moved.

"Go on girls, thrive."

"Will do, Topes," Maya agreed.

"I'll try," Riley replied.

The two girls got up from their seats, linked arms and walked out the door. "Where to now, Maya?" Riley asked.

"To bed," Topanga answered.

"Why? It's supposed to be a dramatic thing!" Maya claimed.

"Well you two can do your dramatic thing tommorow, right now you go to sleep. It's 11:30pm."

"Okay," Maya said, reluctantly.

"Okay!" Riley added, trying to be positive in this darkness.

Next morning..

"It's the weekend Riles, what do you wanna do?" Maya asked her bestie.

"Ughhhhh," Riley groaned.

"Right. Still mopey."

"I just wanna stay in bed. I don't want to go anywhere. Because they're everywhere!"

"Who's they?" Maya laughed as she said this.

"Lucas, Farkle, Charlie!"

"Oh Riles, let it all out. I'm here for you."

"Well first of all, none of this would've happened if Farkle didn't just randomly kiss people and then not explain why! And if Lucas just trusted me, we wouldn't be here right now! And Charlie? He's just more drama!" 

"Feel better?"

"Much."

"Now, let's get you some icecream. I'll be back."

Maya headed to their fridge, "Hey Matthews' can I get some icecream?" She asked him.

"Sure, just don't take the whole--" He replied but she had already taken the whole pint and was already heading back to Riley's room. "Thing."

"Here Riles, I got your favourite! Cookie dough," Maya said, trying to cheer her up.

"Over here please," Riley responded. Maya handed her the pint of icecream and a large spoon. Riley tossed away the spoon and just stuck her face in.

"Now I know where Auggie gets that from," Maya joked. Riley lifted up her head from inside the icecream bucket and grabbed the spoon before digging in.

"I also got you pre-recorded episodes of our favourite show!" Maya added.

"Yay."

"C'mon Riles, cheer up. This usually always works."

"But not right now, Maya. Not right now. This is different."

"It is..Isn't it."

Hiiii! I know this chapter is a bit short so to make up for it, I'll be updating a bit earlier next week! And did you like the outcome of the cliffhanger? 😂
Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this chapter, and I'll see you in the next one, byeeee!