Chapter 31

Duncan Household, New York, 4:15pm, General POV

Gabe sat at the kitchen table, scribbling down ideas on how to ask Maya to the dance. He only had 3 written down on his paper so far. He scratched his head with the eraser end of his mechanical pencil. Then scrunched up the sheet into a ball and tossed it. It fell to the floor across the room. Amy walked in to get a snack for Charlie and Toby.

"What's this?" Amy asked, as she picked up the paper. She unraveled it, and read the contents. "Oooh, who are you asking to the dance? Is it Maya?"

"Whaaaat? Psh...--Yes mom help me, help me please," He replied.

"Alright, what do you have so far?"

"Nothing good enough."

"Why can't you just go up to her and ask?"

"It has to be special, it can't be some casual lame ask."

"I've never seen you do so much for a girl."

"Ooh, what's this about a girl?" Teddy wondered aloud as she came in. She didn't have any classes that day so she visited home again.

"Nothing--" Gabe claimed, but Amy interrupted him.

"He wants to ask out Maya to their school dance in a special way," Amy answered.

"Isn't Maya the girl who came over to do your project?"

"Yeah, the one who liked your boyfriend Josh," He responded.

"Ugh I feel so bad about that!"

"Well she really liked Josh and he hurt her. I don't want her to think I'm gonna do that too, so this ask has to be perfect."

Amy and Teddy looked at each other then back at Gabe, "How can we help?"

"Well Riley told me that Maya's already had her first date, which was with Farkle, so that's out of the question. And Lucas did the grabby face thing by the campfire. What am I gonna do? What'll be my moment?"

"Well your moment should come straight from your heart," Amy told him.

"Yeah, whatever you do, as long as it came from your heart, she'll like it," Teddy added.

He thought about that for a little bit. "I have no idea what to do with that information."

"If all else fails, or nothing comes to mind, just know, flowers and a sweet message goes a long way." Amy patted his back before getting the cheese and crackers and exiting. Teddy stayed.

"You know, mom's right, a kind and sweet gesture goes a very long way. You got this," Teddy reminded him, she left out the kitchen door afterwards as well.

Gabe contemplated what he had just been told. He had no idea how he was going to ask her. But time was ticking, it's Monday, there's only 4 days left to ask her until the day of the dance.

Jennings-James Household, 4:45pm, New York, General POV

Avery sat on her bed, doodling dresses and designs. Two new clients had recently asked for custom dresses. Those two had names, they were: Riley and Maya. Avery already had her own dress made and ready. It was a simple knee length, pale pink, flowy dress to compliment her blonde hair. It had a custom designed white floral belt around the waist with a flower buckle. It also had a dark pink paw print on one of the pockets she made on the skirt part. She paired it with white flats.

The dresses she was designing were Descendants 2 inspired. She thought Mal and Evie's style fit Maya's pretty well. And Riley could fit a princess style. She decided on a dark blue dress with black designs for Maya, and a violet one for Riley. She started planning out designs and cutouts, if any.

"Avery, I hear there's a dance on Friday," Chloe spoke as she peeked her head in.

"Yeah, what about it?" Avery responded and placed her sketchbook onto her bed along with the pencils she was using. Chloe came inside and plopped down on her bed beside her.

"Can I do your makeup?"

"Maybe next time."

"You always say that." Chloe looked down, disappointed.

"How about this, you can help me with my hair?"

Chloe's face brightened. "Yay! I'm gonna do the best hair ever, I'll schedule you an appointment for Friday, 5:30pm, sharp!"

"Okay, come over at 5:30 on Friday, I'll have everything set up for you by then."

"Great! Anyways, are you going to have a date for this dance?"

"Well the one I might want, he's not available. He likes someone else, someone who deserves him, who he's happy around. Someone who deserves him, more than I do."

"What's his name?"

"This guy I used to know, before we moved."

"Wes?"

"No, way farther back than that. Before I even moved to Pasadena, back in Denver.  It's Gabe, my first and ex boyfriend, who's also my good friend now ."

"Well, then you should go after him!"

"No, he's moved on, I should've too. I thought I did, with Wes."

"Then forget about him, forget about both of them! This night's about you having fun! Not about dumb, icky boys. Have fun, let me do your hair."

Avery laughed and put her arm around her step sister. "I love you, you know that?"

"Love you too, big sis."

Yo yo, hope you enjoyed this chapterrr! Thanks for reading and voting!
8K+ READS AND 290 VOTES, WHAAAAT?! IM SH00K, THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH!!! AHHH! TY TY TY!!!
Thanks again, I'll see you in the next chapter, byeee!