Chapter 2

New York, Maya's POV

Maya Hart made her way to "Topanga's" with her long term best friend Riley Matthews. The cafe was formerly known as "Forskey's" however Riley's mother had bought the small place to keep it from ending up in the hands of fast food chains. The petite hangout was a personal favourite of theirs. "Soo...Are you and Josh a couple now?" Riley asked eagerly, unable to contain her excitement.

"No, calm down. Your uncle boing and I decided to leave it to later for now," The blonde replied, half hating the idea of dating, half wishing she hadn't agreed to wait so long.

"But you two held hands! That's exciting Maya! I can't believe you guys didn't become boyfriend and girlfriend right then at there. Why wait, man," Riley exclaimed, reenacting how it happened with her own hands.

"First of all, you and Lucas kissed, so don't try to twist my story around. Second, ask him why." She grew a bit defensive, bitterness rising inside her.

Riley felt like she had lost this round, letting out a line of defeat, "Aw, fine."

Her surrender seemed to have occurred too early as her best friend blurted, "Honestly, I don't know if I can wait until 'someday' arrives."

Riley smiled, as if she had a great idea. "Well, maybe you don't have to."

Confused, Maya needed clarification, "What do you mean?"

"The world is constantly throwing things at us," She gestured at their surroundings, looking up at the sky. "Maybe it'll throw true love at you Maya." She formed her hands into a heart shape, Riley had always been one to accentuate her actions and words.

Not wanting to get herself hurt again, the blonde denied that idea. "Yeah, right. Hope is for suckers Riley, and I'm not gonna get sucked in...Again."

"Whatever you say." Riley wanted to end the conversation before they got inside, even if it meant letting her best friend win twice. Though the whole group was very close, some of them were closer than others. For instance, Riley and Maya. Maya wasn't one to open up very easily, therefore there were things she preferred to keep private, just between her and Riley,

All of them were both excited and nervous for the new school year. Not only were they going to a new school, they were being moved into a new realm. Middle school was one thing, but high school was a whole other level. They knew things were going to change, and not all of them desirable. "One thing's for sure though, you know. Something that'll never change," Riley assured them, trying to calm everyone's nerves.

Lucas hadn't quite caught on to what she was referring to, "And that is?" He asked, hoping at least one other person was also lost.

She smiled, her familiar goofy Riley smile, "The six of us will always be friends."

"She's got that right," Zay agreed, looking around their closed circle, "Because I've heard there were fake people there, and I ain't gonna mess with them. Y'all bettere not leave me." A chorus of laughter rolled through, Lucas laid a hand on his good friend's shoulder to reassure him they'd always be here.

"And Smarkle?" Farkle asked, meeting eyes with his girlfriend.

She was a bit caught off guard that he'd even question something like that. In response, she rested her hand on his, answering, "Always." He grinned, going in for a hug. "I love these now."

"Look at that cute sh*t going on, someone's missing here," Zay said as he watched the two embrace each other.

"Who--" Lucas had started but was interrupted by his friend.