Chapter 34

Abigail's High school, New York, 10:15am

"What favour?" He asked, confused.

"You helped me on my first day. I just wanted to do the same for you now," She replied.

"Thanks, Jo."

"I thought we agreed you'd call me Avery from now on?"

"But Jo is like, our thing. Only we know about it."

"That's true."

"That's your nickname from now on, Jo."

"Wow, okay."

"What's mine?"

"Snot boy." She burst into laughter.

"What, why?"

"Just because."

"Hey, c'mon I don't wanna be known as the notorious 'snot boy'. Beware, his snot might fly and hit you in your face!"

She laughed harder. "Okay, Gabriel, how about...--Wait, don't try to change the subject!"

"I like it, 'Wait, don't try to change the subject' is great." He chuckled.

"Gabe, you know what I'm talking about. Why were you upset?"

"Because I could never beat Yogi's ask. He asked Derby in such a special way, it actually kind of sounds like how Charlie asked Riley, based on what they told me."

"Well, even though his way was grand, this isn't a competition. You know why?"

"Why?"

"Because each of us girls are different. One way may be the perfect ask for one of us, but not for another."

"What are you saying?"

"The way you ask Maya only needs to be special for you two, not for everyone."

"What I have planned is dumb, though."

"What is it?"

"Well I was brainstorming for hours, literally, the other day. And my mom told me that a sweet message and flowers go a long way. I couldn't think of any other ways. So that's all I've got. But flowers aren't special enough, not for Maya."

"You really like her, don't you?"

"Yeah, I guess I do."

"Then swap out the flowers for something else. Something only the two of you know about."

"Like what?"

"Any special memories between you guys? Maybe something that'll remind her of it."

"Oh..I get it. I know what I'll do now."

"What?"

"I'll put the note in an empty can of purple spray paint." She raised her eyebrow at him, "It's special to us."

"And the fact that I have no idea whatsoever of how, proves that it is."

"Thanks Avery."

"Anytime, Gabe." He stood up and extended a hand out to her, she grabbed on and he pulled her up. They walked back to the others.

"You're back, we were wondering where you two went," Riley told them when they got back.

"Just figured out stuff," Avery replied.

"Yep," Gabe agreed. Maya eyed him curiously. He smirked, "What? You jelly, Hart?"

"Not one bit," She responded, biting her lip.

"Lucas looks lonely," Smackle observed out of the blue.

"He does, doesn't he," Gabe agreed.

"Does anyone know what to say to him?" Maya asked. They all shook their heads.

"Farkle also looks sad," Avery chimed in.

"We promised that we'd all be friends no matter what," Riley responded. "But some promises are harder to keep than others."

Sorry for the short and kinda sucky chapter! I hope you guys enjoyed it though, hopefully it wasn't too cringey lol. Thanks for voting, like omg we're at 340+ votes?! Whaaaaaa?? Im sh00k. Thank you guys so much! :)))
Ahhh I'll see you in the next chapter, byeeee!

P.S. Im gonna try to write another chapter or two over the weekend, keyword: try. Im running out of pre-written chapter, ahhh!