Chapter 38

Abigail's High school, New York, 9:15am, General POV

"Romance is weird," Riley spoke and giggled.

"No, its complicated," Gabe countered.

"No, its not either of those. Its scary," Maya chimed in.

"You know whats scarier than romance?" Mr. Matthews asked.

"Nothin'. Vanessa won't return my calls, nothing. But here I am, still in love with her. Thats whats scary," Zay answered.

"Thats just called being in denial, Zay," Lucas told him.

"No its not--"

"Can I continue with my lesson plan?" Cory asked, interrupting Zay mid-sentence. He got nods from the class. "What's scary is that one simple 'no' can lead to a whole hallway of closed doors. But most of the time, those closed doors are meant to be shut. Because thats not the hallway you're supposed to go through. Theres another hallway planned for you, and you just gotta find it."

"So, you're saying that when Vanessa said no to me, she just lost an entire hallway of all of this?" Zay asked and gestured with his hand at himself.

"Sure.."

"And me saying yes to Maya opened a whole hallway of doors?" Gabe asked, and grinned at her.

Cory grit his teeth, "Sure..." But he couldnt hold it in, "Im telling Shawn!"

"No, Im telling Shawn!" Maya retorted.

"You're voluntarily telling Shawn? Then at least give the kid a headstart. It'd just be unnesscarily brutal not to."

"He doesn't need one."

"Uhh, I like the confidence. But if hes as protective as Matthews is making him sound then I may need a headstart," Gabe whispered to her.

"Don't worry Duncan, Ive got this." She put her fingers together and smiled while slowly laughing.

"Uh-oh. Uh-oh!" Riley exclaimed.

"What? Whats 'uh-oh'?" Cory asked.

"Thats her planning face. Run!"

"Riles, its a good plan this time, trust me."

"Okay, if you say so. No need to run anymore, everybody!"

After class..

"Duncan, dinner at my house tonight? I can introduce you to my stepdad, he's home tonight," Maya asked.

"Yeah, sounds great. Um..is there a secret tunnel I cam run through if he uh..Chases me?" He replied.

"Why so scared, Duncan? Thought you were a rebel."

"Well yeah, but I wanna make a good impression. He is your stepdad."

"Awww," Riley gushed. They turned to her, "Carry on."

"Thats sweet, Duncan...And soft of you."

"Hey, I am not soft!"

"Yeah, you're tough. Sure."

"Im gonna ignore the sarcasm there," She laughed, "And ask this: Can I still call you Hart or am I supposed to call you Hart-Hunter now?"

"So flustered, aren't ya? And call me Hart, its the first nickname you gave me. You dont need to be so nervous, seriously." She smiled.

"You're right, I shouldnt be so worried. Hes your stepdad, Matthews best friend."

"Good." She wrapped her arms around him. He hugged her back.

Riley smiled goofily from behind the nearby bench. Avery raised her head up from behind there too and smiled as well. They turned to each other, "Eeeee!" The two squealed then switched their attention back to Gabe and Maya.

Later that day..

"Gabe, good seeing you here," Katy greeted him as he walked in with Maya.

"Hi Ms. Hunter, how are you?" He replied.

"Good, thanks." She turned to Maya, "Shawn will be home for dinner soon. Why don't you two go hang out in your room for a while?"

"Sounds good, mom," She answered and gestured to Gabe, "C'mon Duncan." They began walking away.

Once they arrived in her room, they sat on her bed. She leaned back on the wall. Pounding came from the other side of the wall. "How lovely," She mumbled, sarcastically.

"Wanna return the favour?" He smirked.

"Why that sounds like a fantastic idea."

They laughed while knocking on the wall. It turned into a game to see who would give in first. In the end it was a tie because the neighbours started screaming at them to stop.

"I think that just shattered my eardrums," She spoke after.

"What?" He replied, loudly. She laughed and punched his arm playfully.

The door slammed shut. The moment of truth has arrived.

Wuzzup! Thank you so much for voting! And I can't believe GLW has 12k reads, like whaaaaaat??? THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOUUUU!!!!! You all made my week :)
I hope you enjoyed this chapter, I'll see you in the next one, byeeee!