Chapter 10

Abigail's Highschool, New York, 9:00am, General POV

"Alright class, today I'll be giving you time to work on your--" Mr. Matthews started.

He was interrupted by a knock on the door. He went to open it, in walked the new girl.

"Hey, I'm the new kid?" She greeted him with a textbook hugged to her chest.

"Jo?" Gabe said, in shock.

"Wes!" The new girl exclaimed, while looking at Lucas. She ignored Gabe.

"Hold on, your name is Jo Wes?" Mr. Matthews asked.

"No. I'm Avery Jennings," She introduced herself.

"Would you like to tell us a bit about yourself?" Cory asked.

"Sure, I moved here from Pasadena, I have a dog named Stan who has adorable puppies, Freddy and Gracie! And I recognize one of my classmates," She told everyone.

"Lovely, I myself am also a dog person," Mr. Matthews commented.

"Hey, why didn't you make a connection to my introduction when I got here yesterday?" Gabe smirked.

"Yours, well it was very...Interesting. I couldn't find a connection," He answered.

"Not even the dumped by girlfriend part?"

"Ahem, I married my girlfriend."

Gabe held his hands up in surrender.

"Anyways, have a seat next to Mr. Friar, Ms. Jennings," Mr. Matthews continued.

Avery sat down next to Lucas, but to her he was Wes. Her former flame. As Mr. Matthews went on a lecture, she whispered to Lucas, "Psst...Aren't you Wes? Don't you remember me?"

He looked at her confused, but she didn't buy it. She could tell he was hiding something, but he replied, "Sorry, doesn't ring a cowbell."

"Jo...Pst.." Gabe whispered to her.

"I'm not Jo," She claimed.

"Cut the act Jo, I'm not buying it."

"Shut up Duncan, I left my past behind. I can't believe that just when I was going for a fresh start, I'm put in the same class as you. As for our past, can we just let it go? Start fresh?"

"Just 'let it go'? Do you remember the countless times you bruised my lip? Or the numerous black eyes you gave me? Cause I do. And..I thought you'd remember our history."

"Of course I remember, and I'm sorry. After my move to Pasadena, I reinvented myself, changed for the better. I'm still that feirce girl, just more gentler and less violent. And more polite, I guess."

"What about our history? You left me when we were about to become an item."

"Yeah, I admit that was a horrible time to move, but I wasn't in control of that. I only found out a few weeks before my leave. I said goodbye to you, Gabe."

"Yeah, I remember. It was the first time I ever saw you cry."

"Shush, Jo wouldn't be too happy about you saying that." She giggled.

"About that, why'd you change your name?"

"Parents divorced, but for the better. I now go by my middle name, Avery and by my mother's last name, Jennings."

"Oh, but the hair and style too?"

"I admit, brunette to blonde was quite a change but it was worth it. As for my style, without you around pestering me, I got to enjoy school more and actually found out I loved to learn, and that I have a passion for art which I put into designing my own clothes."

"Me pestering you? Are you sure about that? I remember it as you bothering me." He chuckled.

"Fair enough, I did hurt you a bit."

"A bit?"

"Fine..A lot. But like I said, I've changed a little.. I'm more gentle now."

"Changed a little? Have you compared the two photos?"

"I meant, my ways have changed a bit. And I was only mean to you because I..I was scared."

"You scared? Of me? Nah, I don't believe it."

"Not in that way. In the way that I was afraid you didn't feel the same way for me as I did for you, and I guess the saying's pretty spot on. 'When someone's mean to you, it just means they like you'."

"Why didn't you tell me this before you decided to turn me into your attack dummy?" They shared a laugh.

"Like I said, fear of being rejected."

"Yeah.."

"I've moved on though, and I hope you have too."

"I did, I got a girlfriend."

"Great, that's..Great."

"But then we broke up. And here I am again, the healing stage."

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I also came to New York for a fresh start. That and my mom got an acting job here on a Tv show."

"That's awesome, tell her I said congrats."

"Yeah, will do. So did you happen to find a boyfriend?"

"Yeah...Well, sorta. I guess you could call it that, we both liked eachother. Then I found myself in our kind of situation again, except this time the roles were switched. He was moving away. I know how you feel now, Duncan...And I'm sorry."

"The long awaited apology," He whispered, dramatically. She giggled.

"I also know how it feels to be the one moving away, now. It was the reason my ex and I broke up. Im sorry, I didn't know how hard it was until now," He said, while whispering.

"And another long awaited apology," She responded in a whisper, this time she was trying to be dramatic. He chuckled.

"So, I guess we both know now how it felt to be in the other's position," She whispered to him.

"Yeah," He agreed.

"Mr. Duncan, Ms. Jennings, I see you two are getting to know eachother already," Mr. Matthews interrupted their conversation.

"Uh..Yeah, we have a lot in common," Gabe said.

"Yeah, we've been in similar situations," Avery agreed. They shared a look.

"Is this who you knew already, Ms. Jennings?" Cory asked.

"Well he's one of the people I already knew, but not the one I was talking about," She replied.

"Oh then who were you talking about? If I may ask," Mr. Matthews wondered.

"Wes. We knew eachother back in Pasadena."

"I'm sorry Ms. Jennings, we don't have a Wes in our class."

"No? But I'm sure that's him." She gestured to Lucas.

"Lucas, is this true?" Mr. Matthew's asked him.

"Uhhhh..." He responded.

"Lucas, I thought you said you came here from Texas," Riley questioned him.

"I did," He said.

"But Avery over here's telling us you knew her back in Pasadena, Huckleberry," Maya chimed in.

"Well.."

"Are you really gonna pretend like you don't know who I am? Wes? Or 'Lucas' now. I thought I meant more to you than that," Avery confessed.

"Mr. Matthews, may I be excused?" She asked him. He nodded. She ran out of the classroom.

Gabe got up, "An old friend might help," He suggested.

"Go, but make sure you're both back here within 5 minutes, okay?" Mr. Matthews replied. Gabe nodded and started walking out the door.

Oooh, drama is stirring up!! Thank you to everyone who guessed, I enjoyed reading your guesses! Thanks for voting and I hope you enjoyed this chapter! What will happen in the next chapter, what will occur between Gabe and Avery? You'll have to wait and see! Okay, I'm gonna sign off here, byeeee!!