Prologue

March 14th, Bannock, Montana 1883.

      "Johnny, are you listening?  Hello earth to Jon! Dammit boy get your head out of the clouds and start listening! This could save your life in the long run!"

Aaron  Weiss said as he was demonstrating how to unload and reload a rifle. He was losing patience with the boy.  He could understand what was making him lose his focus though, for he could see whom the boy was staring at. Angela Colt was a beautiful young woman, and if he wasn't already married to his own wife and if he was ten years younger, he too would be first in line to ask her to go steady with him.

      "JON!"

After hearing Deputy Aaron Weiss shout at him for the second time to pay attention, Johnathan stopped gazing at Angela Colt and turned back to his boss. He couldn't help it, Angela was so beautiful. He's known her his whole life and from the moment that she grew out of her childhood looks and blossomed into a woman, Johnathan couldn't take his eyes off of her.

She was a beautiful young woman who every other eligible and single man wanted to marry. Her name suited her perfectly because she had an angelic face. But, she was furiously protected by her brothers and father, and he didn't know if his best friend which was her brother would ever allow him to court her. He concentrated hard on the lesson that, his boss was trying to teach him, and after a few failed attempts at reassembling the rifle that was thrusted into his hands, Johnny was finally able to accomplish it. He could tell that Aaron was impressed with his speed, even though throughout the demonstration, Johnny wasn't even paying attention.

      "That's it for now, Jon."

Aaron said as he looked at the clock and realized that it was close to the dinner hour. He had to get home and help his wife with the children, since she was in the last months of her sixth pregnancy, and he worried over her. He took the rifle away from the boy and set it against the wall, and told the boy to head on home. Johnathan, smiled and was out the door so fast that Aaron smiled and laughed, he too could remember when he couldn't wait until his job was done so that he could check out his sweetheart either. Oh, where has the time gone? He wondered as he closed up the jailhouse. His young apprentice had just turned sixteen and he hoped that he would find the same happiness  that he did when he married the love of his life. He hoped that Jon would be able to get Angela Colt to notice him real soon.

Though he thought he saw the same admiration in her eyes that he saw in Jon's. Smiling to himself again, Aaron headed on home to kiss his wife Julia and remind her how much he loved her again.