Chapter 26

You'd spent the whole night staring at the ceiling, was she going to tell someone?

It's all my fault!

If Mark gets fired it'll be all my fault. Then I wont see him anymore - or worse I'll be expelled! 

The mental conversation continued until the sun started to peak it's head around your curtain and the birds that had recently made their home above your window started to chirp cheerfully at the morning air.

You groaned at their joyful song, how were they allowed to be happy when everything in your life had gone to shit.

Mark had texted you and rang you a couple of times before it got too late but you didn't have the heart to tell him what had happened, he didn't need to be stressed. The last thing you wanted was to see him in distress.

You sat up in your bed and winced as you felt the ping of pain in your thigh, you were determined to go into lesson today even if the doctor had advised against it.

Maybe seeing Mark's face for 3 hours would dull the sting that Nova had left in your heart, you'd known her most of your life. You grew up together, you both purposely moved to the same University as each other so you wouldn't have to interact with other humans.

The two of you had been friends since you were 9, you had spent 12 years of your life by her side and she had spent those years being by yours.

Thinking back on old memories made you feel abandoned, they felt as though if you thought for too long then you would find yourself back in your old 15 year old body, in your old room watching horror films with her.

Back then she was Nancy, until you gave her the nickname of Nova.

You could remember it like it was yesterday, you were sitting cross legged on your bed, she was sitting on the blow up bed that was on the floor next to yours. All snuggled up in your blankets and pillows, just talking about life.

Oh how naive and full of hope we were!

"What do you think you'll be when you're older?" she had asked you, you'd thought about it for a moment before you answered her.

"I'll be a vet so I can save all the animals in the world" you'd exclaimed, throwing your arms into the air with enthusiasm, "That's boring!" she'd said in reply, "I'm going to be an astronaut!".

You had laughed at her, truly not knowing how much it meant to her "It's true! I'm going to find the planet that human's move to after we're done with Earth" she claimed.

You continued to laugh at her until she threw a heart shaped pillow and it hit you square in the face, "You can laugh now, but you wont be laughing when my name is Captain Nancy of the Starship Enterprise!" she said, jumping up from her sitting position and standing in a heroic pose.

"But, if you're in space you wont see me anymore" you frowned "How can we be best friends if you're light years away" you had asked her.

"You'll be with me, duh" she said, pulling a funny face as though she was physically representing the stupidity that was in your sentence and plonked back down on her make-shift bed.

"What? I'll be Y/N, space vet" you giggled at the foolish title you'd given yourself "Who else is going to cure all the alien's pets when they get sick?" she smiled back at you.

"I'm not smart enough" you sighed, "Hey!" she blurted, raising her voice a bit "Don't put yourself down, you're the smartest person I know, other than me" she joked, swishing her hair over her shoulder in a model like fashion.