Chapter 49

Letting out a frustrated sigh, you wiped a hand down your face, trying to get your train of thought back onto the subject at hand. You made your way back into your bedroom to see the damage that Nova had done to it, and; sure enough - she had left devastation behind her.

There were clothes scattered all around the room, your draws had been pulled and left open, and she had gone to town on your shelves, completely ruining the organisation of your books.

A small growl left your throat, why did she have to be like this? What had happened to her? All you knew is it had something to do with Jesse. He was a complete waste of space, all he had brought to you was upset and pain. You wished you had never gone out that night all those months ago.

A vibration in your pocket brought you out of your inner monologue, you pulled your phone out of your pocket and watched the screen illuminate the room around you. It was Mark, "I'm done with classes, I can come over now if you're free?" as you read his message you felt your stomach drop and twist, could you really tell him?

"Sure" you simply replied, not sure what else you could say in this situation. As though you were drawn to it, your eye line locked onto the pregnancy test that was sat on your desk, right where Nova had left it. You slightly chuckled to yourself, if she had taken the time to actually look at it properly then she would have seen that you hadn't taken it yet.

Yet.

That word scared you. You knew you'd have to face up to the reality of the situation and take it at some point. Hopefully before Mark turned up.

The twenty minutes it took for Mark to walk from campus to your flat felt like an eternity, twiddling the test between your fingers, you debated how you would tell him... if you even were- you know? You couldn't think the word, that was enough to you to jinx it. You felt as though the universe hated you enough already.

That word scared you to the bone.

You felt your stomach drop as soon as you heard your phone notify you of an incoming call, you got up out of your previous position of lying on the bed like a wounded sloth and reached onto your desk for your phone.

"Hey" you answered wearily, "Hey beautiful" his voice said "I'm here", you could tell he was also scared, scared of what you were going to say to him.

"Okay, I'm coming" you said quickly and hung up the phone. Walking down the corridors and staircases felt like you were walking to the gallows, taking your last few steps until your judgement had passed.

Your stomach did a silent tango inside of you, always one step behind your heart who was too eager to dance to keep rhythm with the rest of you.

As soon as you saw his face the sensation got worse, everything was heightened. When he made eye contact with you through the window of your front door was when your heart really broke, his eyes bore into you with such sadness.

Immediately after you opened the door you slung your arms around his neck and pulled him into a tight hug, he embraced you for a second before lightly pushing you away. "We can't" he said, glancing around at the few students that were struggling along to get home for the day, "Not here".

You nodded lowly and let him into the apartment building. It was an awkward walk to your room, most of it was filled with random small talk, the rest with unbearable silence.

He knew something was wrong, and you didn't know how to tell him.

"Do you want a drink?" was all you could muster after a couple minutes of silent sitting on your bed. "No, I'm okay thank you" he replied.

Then he outstretched his hand to you, something you didn't quite expect, "Look" he started "if you're going to break up with me then please just get it over with" he continued, never being able to look you in the eye.

You pulled your hand back in shock, then realised that was exactly what not to do "Mark, oh my lord, Mark no. That's not- I would never break up with you" you blabbered, completely ignoring the fact that he was recognising you two as dating.

You took his face in your hands, looking into his chocolate coloured orbs only to glance away again. He took his thumb and index finger and lifted your chin up to meet his gaze again, "Whatever it is, you can tell me" he said quietly, you trusted him, you really did - but you were so scared to lose him.

Sitting back down on the bed again, you let out an exasperated sigh, allowing all the oxygen previously built up in your lungs to be released. You had purposely left the test on your desk in plain sight, hoping that he might see it and save you the pain of having to say the words yourself.

But he was too fixated on your face.

"Mark..." you started but couldn't finish, you could tell by the eagerness in his eyes that he was hanging on your every word. "You know how I've been really sick lately" you continued, having to break eye contact once again, you could feel the water line of your eyelid starting to fill up with the salty liquid that you'd tried so hard to contain.

"Yeah" he simply said, waiting for you to carry on, "Well, I don't know what it is, but I've noticed a few symptoms that are scaring me" you whimpered through gritted teeth, saying this to him was like trying to swallow sandpaper, it wasn't supposed to happen. 

"What symptoms?" was all he asked, you could see that his panic had subsided but his concern was very much alive. "I can't keep certain foods down, my-" you hesitated "My breasts are very sore and- and..." you couldn't finish your sentence, you just let out a weak sob.

Mark put one hand behind your head and pulled you into him "I know, I know" he said rubbing one large hand against your clothed back, "I know what you're trying to say" he explained placing a small kiss on your exposed cheek. "It's okay" he simply said, pulling back from you slightly to stare at your tear stained face, "We'll do a test, and then we'll deal with it from there" he softly smiled, a smile you knew was purely there to reassure you.

"Okay" you muttered, "Okay?" he repeated, "Okay" you echoed.

Hello again, I am really very sorry that I haven't been updating my stories much recently I would love to explain it all to you guys, however, I don't feel like I can at this moment in time. Maybe sometime in the future I'll elaborate, but for now, please take my apology... and this updated chapter.