Chapter 51

"So, I've been doing some reading" Mark said, pacing up and down your small apartment room, your laptop carefully balanced on his forearm, "And apparently you're supposed to do the test in the morning?" He continued. Your felt your stomach drop and that surge of anxiety erupt again, you wished Mark would just leave it but you know he just wanted to make sure that you're okay.

You sat up quickly, "So... what are you saying?", there was a moment of silence between you. "What I'm saying is, we might not be out of the dark just yet" Mark tread carefully with his words.

"Are you serious?" You shouted probably a little bit too loudly for your small apartment room, launching yourself back onto the bed, feeling earlier's cereal sloshing around in your tummy like an edible sand mixer.

"Hey, calm down it's fine" he said, putting his hand out dramatically, if the subject wasn't so serious you probably would have laughed, "If it came out as negative now, then at least you're not, like, super pregnant" he tried to joke with you, putting emphasis on the 'super'. Although his humour was lost on you.

"Mark, this is serious!" You whined, you knew he was just trying to make everything better, but you weren't in the mood for jokes. That's when his tone went serious.

"Y/N, listen to me-" luckily he was cut off by the sound of FaceTime on your laptop, Mark's head snapping to the screen. Then back to you, then back at the screen.

"What do I do?!" Mark asked, petrified as though he'd never seen a laptop in his life and now it was trying to attack him. "Well, who is it?" You asked, sliding your butt to the edge of the bed, "It says 'Bambi'" he raised an eyebrow in confusion.

You rolled your eyes, "That's my mom! Give me it" you huffed, taking the laptop out of his grasp, ignoring his attempts to hide a snicker at your mom's nickname and quickly hitting answer. You knew if you didn't let her see that you're alive there would be hell to pay.

"Hi mom!" You beamed, she would always brighten the darkest of your days, being away from her for so long was heartbreaking, not to mention the day you actually left for college. That day still brings a tear to your eye.

"Hello sweetie" you cringed at her nickname "How's it going?" She asked, peering at the screen as though if is she leaned close enough she was fall through it and into your room. "Everything's fine here, just the normal you know?" You lied, you hated lying to her but she couldn't know the truth. That would hurt her more than her knowing you'd lied to her.

How on Earth would she handle that you were 1) sleeping with and dating your teacher, and 2) may or may not be pregnant.

"How are you?" You asked back, faking a smile. She opened her mouth and took a huge breath of air "Well..." and that was all that was needed to set her off for the next 20 minutes - every now and then contributing a 'yeah' or an 'uhuh' into the conversation - or if you were feeling really jazzy, a 'no way!'.

The entire time your mom was talking, Mark had stayed standing in the middle of your room, probably too nervous to even move. You could tell that you kept looking in his direction, every time you did your mom would stop talking for a second or her voice would wobble curiously.

It was after the first half an hour of her speech that Mark started to bounce on the spot dramatically, indicating that he needed to use the restroom. You shifted your eye slightly towards the door to tell him to just go and stop being so dramatic.

"So that's me..." your mom finally concluded, "What's new with you?" She asked for a second time, you shrugged your shoulder and watched Mark leave the room out of the corner of your eye "Same old stuff, different day" you joked, trying to wrap up the conversation as soon as possible. But your mom wasn't having any of it "Oh come on dear, tell me what you've been up to" she interrogated you "Have you met anyone nice? I hate the thought of you being so far away all on your own" you smiled gently at her concern for you.

"Nope" you said bluntly, "Just me, but I'm fine with that" you announced proudly "What about Nova? How's she doing?" your mom asked innocently. The name alone sent a boulder crashing through your stomach. "Oh, yeah" you started, not sure how to finish, "She's got a boyfriend now, she doesn't really talk to me anymore" you explained, watching your mom frown "Really? I thought you two would end up together if I'm honest" she said out of no where.

"What?!" You exclaimed, "Well I don't know what you young people do anymore, anything goes is what I've heard and I don't know what you're-" "Okay mom, you can stop" you interrupted her "I mean, it's nice you're being inclusive but no, Nova and I are- were just friends".

At that moment, Mark decided he was going to slam your bedroom door shut, then freezing as soon as he seemingly remembered that you were on the phone. "What was that?" Your mom asked, scanning her screen as though if she looked hard enough she would be able to see around the screen herself. "Nothing mom, but, I've got to go" you panicked "Essays to write and all that" you laughed awkwardly. "Oh of course, sorry to keep you hon" she awed at you, "I love you so so SO much" she went on, "Yeah, I love you too" you smiled, ending the call and closing your laptop.

Mark smiled sheepishly.

"Why not just come and sit next to me and say hi next time?" You jabbed at him, "I'm sorry" he gave you puppy dog eyes, "The door was just too weak for my inhuman strength" he jokingly flexed his muscles and you gently slapped his bicep.

"What?" he exclaimed, "Do you not like how swole I am?" He joked, "No, I do" you said with a smile, "We just need to figure out why I'm spurting my food out like a regurgitating fountain." You said bluntly, googling the nearest doctors surgery. "This is going to take forever" you huffed, putting your head in your hands, "What, why?" Mark asked, sitting himself down next to you and pulling your body into his for a cuddle.

"Well, I'm going to have to sign up with a doctor and then have to go through all the paper work and-" Mark cut you off mid ramble, "You know there's a doctor on campus right?" you said nothing but just kept staring at him. Eventually, you whispered a 'No'.

"Yeah, you can literally just walk in" Mark explained "But..." Mark began, looking at you with a concerned face. "But what?" You asked, matching his expression, "I won't be able to come with you" he muttered, "Oh".

"Slap me if I'm being stupid, but why?" you looked down at your hands, taking a particular interest in the nail varnish that was peeling off of your right thumb. "That would be like shining a massive sign over our heads saying 'We're and item and were not supposed to be someone please tell the authorities',  it would be too obvious". There was silence between you, until you simply said "I understand".

While you wanted him to come with you because you were absolutely terrified, you knew that going to a clinic together would immediately raise suspicions.

"I'll go tomorrow, before class" you started, typing the URL for your college's website and directing yourself to the section labelled 'Medical Services'. You mentally facepalmed yourself for freaking out before checking campus.

"It says here that I can just walk in" you more asked than said, glancing over to Mark looking for confirmation. He just nodded calmly.

"Okay, I'll go tomorrow".