Chapter 27

"What are you doing out there?" you asked, astonished by his spontaneity, you looked at the clock that hung on the kitchen wall "It's quarter past 6!" you exclaimed. 

"I heard madame was in need of some assistance" he said in a dodgy French accent, you laughed at his playfulness, "I'll come down and let you in" you said, setting the kettle down and making your way to the door.

"No, it's okay. I have a master card" he said, you returned to the window and saw him starting to get out of his car. "A master card?" you reiterated.

"Yup, allows me to get into any and all doors on campus" he said, sounding proud of himself "That's what happens when you're head of the History department" he snickered, "Should I be worried?" you joked.

"Only if you want to be" he said, you could imagine his cheeky smile. "Alright, I'm coming up" he said like Johnny from The Shining and hung up.

You looked down at yourself, you were still in your pajamas: relaxation shorts and a baggy old band top. You quickly calculated whether you would get to your room and get changed before he got to the door, you got your answer when you heard a gentle knock on the flat door.

"Who is it?" you teased, "Funny" he remarked back with a joking tone. You opened the door but tried to close it as quickly as you had opened it, saying "No thank you, I don't want to buy anything". Mark had managed to wedge his foot in between the door and the frame, stopping it from closing completely.

Not that you would have locked him out anyway.

"But, I have the best cookies" he laughed, putting on a voice that made him seem like a little girl. He effortlessly pushed the door open even though you tried to fight him with it.

You began to walk back to your kitchen when you heard Mark's laughter fade, you looked around at him to see what was wrong. 

He was closing the door behind him but looking at you concerned "Where's your other crutch?" he asked, sounding like a worried mother.

"It's in there" you gestured to your room and continued to the kitchen, Mark gladly followed you. "The doctor said you had to use both of them for at least a week" he nagged you.

"Yeah well" you thought for a moment "I can't feel any pain, it's just the strength in my leg has gone" you told him, but when the worried look on his face didn't leave you said "I'm fine" shaking your head at him.

"Y/N..." he dragged out as though he wasn't going to stop until you did as he said, you just sighed in response.

"Do you want a coffee?" you asked him, trying to change the conversation, switching the kettle on. "Here, I'll do it" he said as he walked towards the kettle.

"No, please" you said, seeming annoyed, when he looked at you with a hurt look on his face you continued "Let me do something, I hate being babied", his hurt expression slipped away and an understanding one replaced it.

"How's it healing?" he asked looking down at your thigh, you could still see the stitches where the doctors had cut you open slightly to remove the bullet but luckily it wasn't too big, there would only be a mild, small scar.

"It'll be okay" you said bluntly, you didn't really want to talk about your leg. 

All of a sudden Mark's face distorted into a face of dismay, he hurriedly walked over to you and took his hand in yours, "What the hell happened?" he exclaimed. You looked at your hand, you hadn't noticed that you'd split your middle knuckle and the rest were starting to bruise.

"Oh, it's nothing" you said, trying to pull your hand away but he gently held onto it "This isn't nothing" he said, bringing you over to the sink. He grabbed a couple of sheets of kitchen roll and dampened it, pressing it against your bleeding knuckle.

When the tissue made contact with your wound you didn't react, no wince, nothing. When you didn't respond he looked up at you.

"Does that not hurt?" he asked confused, "Nope" you said, popping the 'p' as though you were carefree. But, it was true, you couldn't feel it.

"How?" he asked, dumbfounded. You just shrugged.

"That medication your on must be strong" he said, wide eyed, "How many are you taking?" he asked, you rolled your eyes at how interrogative he was being.

"I had 3 last night" you replied, hopefully answering his questions would stop him worrying. It didn't. He slowly took his attention away from your hand and placed it on your face.

"What?" you asked, genuinely confused, "You're only supposed to have one a day" he said with a stern tone. You sighed again, but he noticed this one and his eyes told you everything. Teacher-mode was activating and you weren't about to be told off.

"It was hurting" you whined, trying to justify your actions, "It doesn't matter, you could have overdosed and you'd be back in the hospital" he nagged you, "No wonder you can't feel anything" he muttered to himself.

"I can feel things" you said, referring to the somewhat mental breakdown you had earlier even though Mark would have no idea what you were talking about. 

"I highly doubt that" Mark commented, dabbing your hand with some dry tissue now, "I can" you whined again. Mark met your eyes, that's when an idea came into your head and you smiled.

"I can prove it too" you grinned, "Oh yeah?" he asked in disbelief. You slowly leaned into him until your nose was about to touch his "Yeah" you whispered to him.

Then you moved your head to the side and softly kissed his lips, it wasn't lustful but tender. He kissed back, staying there for a moment, feeling the warmth of his lips against yours gave you butterflies.

You slowly pulled away from the kiss even though you wanted to kiss him even more.

"See" you said quietly "I felt that" you smiled cockily. That's when you heard the front door open.

"Y/N" you heard Nova call out, "It's just me, I came for my-" her speech faultered and she stopped in her tracks. A shocked expression came across her face when she saw Mark.

That expression turned into a glare when her brain caught up with her eyes, "Hi" you awkwardly said, she just huffed at you.

Then she saw the blood stain on your hand, she walked towards you but stopped when Mark finally turned his head to look at her. It was like he had warded her off with his eyes.

"What happened?" she asked, she was either sincerely concerned or she was a damn good actor, "Nothing" you said, giving her the same answer as you had given Mark.

She wasn't buying it so she turned to Mark "What did she do?" she seemed as though she would rather be talking to an axe-murderer than him right now but she wanted answers.

"I don't know, I just got here" Mark said seeming moody, she was taken aback by his tone and you saw the anger in her eyes.

Don't piss her off Mark!

"Can I just ask, why exactly are you here?" she said with a really bitchy tone to her voice, Mark stopped dabbing your hand and let your hand fall to your side.

He folded his arms across his chest and said "Why weren't you?" you nudged him to get him to shut up but he just stared Nova down.

She exhaled deeply and stropped off to her room, you looked at Mark and he looked at you as the kettle pinged to announce that it was finished.