Chapter 40

Regrettably trading your comfortable pjs for a pair of jeans and a hoodie, you walked to the Human Resources building where your lecture hall for the day was. You had left your crutches at home, determined to make a quick recovery, but still managed to walk along the pavement with confidence.

It was getting to Winter now and the cold was starting to creep it's way into the city, you breathed out heavily and watched as the hot air escaping your lips made a visual white cloud in the cold breeze flowing past you. You loved Winter, but it also meant that this semester would be over soon and it would be time to go home to your family. The family that had no idea that you were dating your lecturer who was seven years older than you.

You pushed the lecture hall door open and signed yourself in, something you hadn't done in ages. No one was in yet, which you liked, it meant you could sit in your normal spot without having any disputes with any of the other students. You didn't see why it mattered, this lecture hall could fit fifty people and there were only a handful of you so there were many seats to chose from.

Glancing down at the time on your phone you saw that it was only 7:41am, you were nearly a whole twenty minutes early for class, what was Mark doing to you?

You sat patiently waiting for the class to start or for someone to walk in, you took your time and scrolled through Tumblr for a little bit, seeing gif sets and fan art of your favourite celebrities. Almost silently, you watched as someone moved in front of you; jumping slightly, you glanced up at the figure. "Jesus Christ, you made me jump" you breathed, "Sorry, you're just never in this early" Mark laughed. "I wouldn't be today if someone had let me sleep" you jokingly scorned him for waking you up so early.

"Ah" he said, almost like a magician, "But if I hadn't woken you up so early then you wouldn't be in my lecture theatre with twenty minutes to spare, and then I wouldn't be able to give you this" he said, presenting a large Starbucks takeaway cup. You looked between him and the cup, you had been completely blind to the fact that he was holding two cups. "Is that for me?" you asked timidly, Mark rolled his eyes and smiled at you "No its for me, I'm going to drink both of these before the lecture starts!" he joked and placed the cup down on the counter in front of you.

"Mark, you didn't have to get me a drink" you stuttered, not knowing what to say. "I know I didn't" he said "But I wanted to" he grinned at you. "Well, thank you I guess" you shyly smiled at him while he unpacked his bag, dropping lumps of paper onto his desk. You picked up the paper cup and brought it up to your lips, you were cautious and careful not to burn your tongue on the liquid, not sure of how recently it had been made.

You felt the weight in the cup shift and then your tastebuds were full of flavours. You swallowed it eagerly, but stopped when the nice aroma disappeared and you were left with a sour taste. You must have made a face because Mark was staring at you "What's wrong?" he asked, you shook your head slightly, "I think the milk is out of date" you replied with a cringe. "Oh I'm sorry" Mark said, "Here, swap with me" he continued, standing up and bringing his cup to your desk. You shook your head ferociously, "No, no, no" you protested, "You've already been kind enough to buy me a drink, you can't give me yours" you added. "Shut up and take my drink" he laughed as he placed the cup down in front of you.

Smiling at him sweetly you took a sip from his cup but quickly spluttered it over he floor. "Nope, this ones funny too" you coughed, Mark hasn't even reached his desk before he turned his head back into your direction, walking back to your place he picked up his own cup and tasted the liquid for himself, shrugging he said "Seems fine to me" and took his own cup back, "If you don't like it I can get you something else during the break?" he proposed "No, it's fine" you chuckled at his kindness and took some sugar packets out of your backpack and added them to your drink, hopefully this would help.

A couple of people had filed into the lecture room but it wasn't many, maybe six or seven. Mark looked around in confusion, then glances up at the clock: five past the hour, people should be here by now. "Is there any reason we're so thin in numbers today?" Mark asked, no one really said anything, a couple of people mumbled to themselves and the rest remained silent. "That wasn't rhetorical" he chuckled, then a voice was heard from the back of the class "It's the release date for The Last Jedi today" a random person said, "So?" Mark asked defensively, "Everyone's lining up to see it" they explained. Mark looked like he was thinking for a moment, and then clapped his hands together, "Let's get on with this shall we?".

Happy Christmas/Holidays everyone!
Love, Author-Chan