Chapter 37

Pulling your jeans up was always the worst part of getting dressed, even before your injury you found it exhausting. All that pointless wiggling and jumping around just to squeeze into your last remaining pair of black skinnies. Today was no exception.

Mark told you to not worry about what you were going to wear, which is obviously the exact opposite of what you did, you cursed yourself for not picking something nicer to carry around in your backpack. You may laugh, but carrying spare clothes around is one of the best ideas I've ever come up with. Unfortunately, you had only prepacked a light jumper and a denim jacket so you had to wear the same jeans as yesterday.

Who were you kidding? You always wore yesterday's jeans.

You gave yourself one last look in the mirror, the green-ish jumper slightly clashed with the blue denim jacket you had chosen, but at least hipsters would appreciate your outfit. Walking out of Mark's en suite bathroom, you made sure to close the door behind you, this was the first time being in his house and the last thing you wanted was to come across as rude. 

After an embarrassing five minutes, you finally reached the bottom of the stairs. "Mark, I'm ready!" you shouted into the open air of the house, there was no answer. You looked around the hall way in confusion, trying to pinpoint the only other human being in this big house. 

You made your way through the living room and to the kitchen where you eventually found the man you were looking for, he was stuffing containers into a duffel bag when you made him jump.  "You scared me" he said, holding his hand over his heart as though he was stopping it from having an attack, "I did shout to say I was ready" you laughed as you watched Mark zip up his duffel bag with more force than it needed. 

"What's in the bag?" you asked, he shook his head at you "You'll find out soon enough" he smiled as he started to head out of the kitchen and towards the front door. "Right, now is not the time for me to find out that you're actually a serial killer" you joked, Mark turned round to face you, his expression was completely blank, he didn't blink or move. Your heart started to pound, but then his face broke out into that adorable smile that you had come to know and everything was good again.

He continued to walk towards the front door, not before taking your hand in his and dragging you with him.

Mark did his usual routine of helping you into the car, even though you were perfectly capable of getting into the passenger seat on your own. The real struggle was when Mark attempted to get Chica into the backseat, and stay there. The big ball of fluff was happy to be on her little brown blanket but as soon as Mark tried to shut the door so you could start heading to your secret destination, she would start to whine and panic.

After watching her fluctuating anxiety attacks and Mark desperately trying to calm his pooch down, you had an idea. You got out of the car, lightly pushed Mark out of the way, and climbed into the back seat next to Chica. In under a second, Chica had calmed down and Mark was staring at you dumbfounded. 

"What?" you asked at his open jaw, "She never settles that quickly for anyone, not even me" Mark said, a hint of jealousy in his voice. "Close the door" you laughed, stroking Chica's head and scratching her ears "Are you sure? We can leave her behind if you want?" he asked you after getting into the driver's seat. You didn't answer Mark, you just glared at him in the rear view mirror for insinuating such a thing.

You had been driving for a while, at first you were trying to figure out where it was you were going by watching the road signs and little landmarks that you recognised, but it was hard to concentrate while Chica was being so adorable next to you. She had been doing things like; putting her head out of the window and letting her tongue flap in the breeze, laying her entire body over your lap and exposing her tummy to you and attempting to lick at Mark's face while he was driving to get his attention.

At this current moment, she had nuzzled her head into your lap and was allowing you to play with her ears. She was such a baby and you loved her, and it seemed like she loved you. "How are my girls doing?" Mark asked, looking back at you in the rear view mirror, you blushed at the fact that he had called you 'my girl' and insinuated that he cared for you as much as he cared for Chica, which was obviously a lot. "We're good" you replied for yourself and Chica, "Although, one of us is on the verge of falling asleep" you laughed, meaning the sleepy Chica in your lap until a yawn crept up on you, "Okay, make that both of us" you said through your yawn. "We're almost there I promise" Mark smiled at you, his crows feet and laughter lines by his eyes becoming more evident, "You'll both be so excited that you'll never want to sleep" he promised.

Mark wasn't lying, soon you were driving on a slightly bumpy off road surrounded by tall trees, the road ahead of you was scattered with fallen blossom petals that gave the illusion that you were driving on a sea of pink. It was a beautiful pocket of nature.

When the car came to a stop, Chica came to life; she was bouncing around the back seats of the car like a child that had just been told that they were going to Disney Land. "Calm down bub, calm down" you hushed the puppy, stroking her back, she began to settle under your touch. You and this doggo had a very strong bond even though you'd only known each other for under a day.

Mark made his way out of the front seat and opened the door for you, before it was even properly open Chica jumped out and sprinted across what looked like an open field, "Chica!" Mark shouted after her but the playful pup wasn't paying attention, she was overcome with excitement. You chucked as she jumped through the long grass, her golden fur mixing in with the sea of colour that the flowers provided.

Mark couldn't help but smile at his little furry child.