Chapter 32

"Come on, it'll be fun!" Mark beamed, throwing your bags into the back of his car.

"But it's dangerous, especially after everything that just happened. Nova's probably telling Mr Kjellberg right now!" You said in one breath, causing yourself to gulp in some air when you finally stopped.

Mark shook his head and lightly chuckled while he helped you into the car. You reluctantly took his hand, aware that there were still students wandering around campus.

"The head and I are like that" he said, entwining his index and middle finger around each other. A smug smile spread across his face as though he was proud of himself, you had the feeling that he had been climbing that social ladder for a while and he finally got to be the head's right hand man.

"That doesn't mean that you won't lose your job" you whined, lightly slapping his hand. You became even more nervous, constantly looking around the two of you, mainly looking for Nova again. You wouldn't put it past her to take a photo just to make sure she got her own way.

"No, but it does mean that he will believe me over a random student" he retaliated, getting into the driver's seat of the car. She isn't just a random student though, she is my best friend. Well, was.

Neither of you said anything, so the sound of the car's engine filled the air. It was nice in a way, just having him next to you made you feel comfortable, even if you were low key arguing. It just seemed as though there was so much that wasn't being said between you, if only you could make some kind of plan, just something for if everything went tits-up, you would have something to fall back on to ensure the safety of both your education and Mark's job.

You felt him slightly nudge your shoulder so you came out of your daydream and turned attention to him, he was holding out his phone to you with one hand while the other was on the steering wheel.

"Put on whatever song you want" he said gently, you looked up at his face and even though he was looking at the road, you could tell he had that soppy look in his eyes. It was probably his way of trying to get you to be less anxious, somehow he knew what was going on in your head without you having to say anything.

You scrolled through Mark's music and you saw a couple of songs by your favourite band. You silently smiled to yourself and clicked the best one there. Mark didn't seem like the type of guy that listened to much music, despite his previous choice of hair colour.

"Nice choice" Mark commented as soon as the first beat hit, you looked at him in astonishment. You thought you were the only one that knew this band that well.

"Have you heard any of their old songs though? They're the better ones" you said, still looking through his music.

"I got into them about a year ago" Mark replied, you look at him with an open mouth "I'll show you their old music some time" you smiled. As soon as he saw the corners of your mouth twinge into a grin, his face immediately lit up. 

Both of you sat in the aroma of music that you had created, it was nice to be with someone who appreciated your music taste. You glanced out of the window to watch the scenery pass by, you could feel Mark looking at your face but you kept your eyes on the trees and flowers passing you; you liked the idea of him having to try to get your attention. As well as being admired, even though you didn't know why he was even bothering with you.

When you felt his eyes leave your face, you looked out over the dashboard and saw that the road was basically empty, it was just a long strip of tarmac. Only a couple of cars were behind you. Well, it was about 6pm, rush hour was over.

For a moment you wondered where you were, you weren't going home that's for sure. 

You were distracted when you felt the car get faster, for a moment you thought it was just you. Then you sensed it accelerate again, then again. You held onto the bottom of the chair as you felt the g-force start to hit you as you zoomed down the highway.

"Mark? What are you doing?" you said, excitement and concern in your voice. You felt the adrenaline start to flow through your veins, it made your heart pump faster and the smile, that was already there, widen.

"Nothing" he said slyly, you watched as the speedometer clime higher and higher as the scenery that you were once admiring became a complete blur.

70

80

90

100

Your heart thumped in your chest as you shot down the highway like a bullet, not the same way it did earlier when Nova opened her mouth, but in a good way. A way that told you that you were still alive and breathing. After everything, you were still alive.

You started to laugh in excitement as you watched the scenery start to look like an oil painting that someone had just poured water over.

"You know this is a 60 zone right?" you playfully bit at Mark.

"I know" he smiled out of the corner of his mouth and turning his attention back to you, his pupils were really dilated. It told you that the rush had hit him too.

"Road!" you commanded, laughing after he did exactly as you said. The car began to slow down but the adrenaline was still running wild in your veins.

"That was fun" you said, meaning to sound sarcastic. Mark looked at you again, the sun hitting his face so his eyes were a bright brown, his pupils were still dilated.

"It's nice to hear you laugh" he smiled at you, you looked away in embarrassment, whenever someone sincerely complimented you you always became shy. You didn't know how to handle compliments, despite the way you carry yourself.

"What?" Mark asked when you didn't respond, you just covered your face with the sleeve of your jumper as a reply. Mark gently took hold of your wrist and moved your hand away from your face "Don't hide your beautiful face, I want to see it" he said, it sounded like he genuinely meant it.

"Where are we going?" you asked, trying to change the subject. "To my apartment" he replied as though it didn't matter, "What?" you asked, you weren't pissed off at him, more shocked that he managed to get you this far without you realising his plan.

"Before you say anything" he said, putting a finger out to you as though he was telling you to shush "I don't want you in harms way, and the only way I can guarantee that Nancy wont hurt you again is if I can watch over you" he explained.

You went to argue with him but before you could even open your mouth he continued "And we're five minutes away from my apartment, and you wouldn't make me drive all the way back just to take you home would you?" he asked sarcastically, flapping his eyelids at you in a girly way.

"Okay, but what am I going to wear?" you said as he turned his gaze back onto the road ahead, "What you're wearing now looks great" he said, you glanced down at yourself. Jumper, jeans, trainers. Nothing fancy.

"Alright then, what am I going to wear as pajamas" you smirked, thinking that you got him with that. He didn't take you home first so you didn't pick up any over night stuff.

"I'm fine with you sleeping naked" he smiled at you again, this time it was different; it was a cheeky smile, you couldn't tell whether he was joking or not. Again, you were about to protest when he butted in "I don't have a problem with it".

"I'm sure you don't" you laughed at him, nudging his arm playfully. As you did, he swerved the steering wheel so the car snaked along the road, your heart jumped and you panicked for a second. But then you heard him laugh.

"Maaark!" you complained, finally getting that he made it do that on purpose. This man should not be in control of a car. "See, you shouldn't disagree with me" he teased.

"You shouldn't be so eager" you teased back, he raised an eyebrow at you as he turned left off of the highway and down a side road. "I promise I will try my hardest not to look or touch any part of your body" he said in a scout like manner, "Unless you want me to" he added with that cheeky smile again.

"And why would I want you to do something like that?" you commented back, trying to carry on the flirting. "Trust me you would" he playfully bit back, you could tell he had an agenda for you staying.

Before you replied the car stopped, you looked up at a big apartment complex, it looked really fancy. "Save that thought for when we're inside" he winked at you.