Chapter 29

You sat next to Mark, in his car.

You were in Mark's car, on school grounds. With everyone watching.

Everyone was watching you, in Mark, your teacher's, car.

You needed to calm down, he said it would be fine and if anyone thought to complain, you were safe. Well, Mark was safe.

Mark opened the passenger door for you and presented you with his hand to help you get out, you hesitantly took it knowing what people would think.

You glanced around you quickly as Mark half lifted you out of the car.

"Stop looking so scared, I told you it was fine" he reassured you, but you were still on red alert. You were subconsciously looking for Nova.

A couple of people gave you a funny look as they walked past but they seemed to move back into their conversations without a second thought. Mark helped you all the way to the classroom, he was carrying his own backpack full of paperwork along with yours.

Yet, he still managed to help you whenever you wobbled.

"I told you, you should have brought both crutches" he complained, looking at you sternly, "And I told you I'm fine, I'm getting the hang of it" you replied, trying to make what you were saying believable.

Mark held open the classroom door for you and you made your way to your seat, there were a couple of students already seated but they all flew to you when you sat down.

They were all boys and you saw Mark's face drop as soon as they stood within a foot of you.

"I heard you got shot, did it hurt?" one boy, Matthew his names was, said. Before you could answer Danny barged in front of him, getting closer to you.

"Have you got a scar?" you nodded as a response "Let's see it" they all chimed at the same time. You moved your leg so they could see the stitches more clearly.

"Cool!" they all exclaimed like a chorus of seagulls.

They all started to shuffle closer to you to get a better look. Samuel, a rather good looking boy, sat down on the chair next to you "You wouldn't have got shot if I was there" he said boldly, you could see his ego getting bigger and bigger.

"Is that so?" you scoffed at him, doubting he would have done a better job than Mark did. "Yeah, they would have run in the opposite direction" he smirked, "Ran" Shane said.

"What?" Samuel looked at him, confused "You said 'would have run away', it's 'ran away'" he corrected him. Samuel snapped at him "Oh shut up, you're only showing off cause you like Y/N!".

You just sat there, wide eyed, trying to pretend that you couldn't hear any of this.

Shane turned a bright shade of pink and stuttered through his comeback "No, you're the one that said she was hot", as soon as that word left his mouth you heard Mark's voice boom above everyone else's "Sit back in your seat, boys. I'm sure Y/N doesn't want to hear that".

More like you don't want to hear that.

You chuckled to yourself as the boys moved away, you looked up at Mark who gave you a soft smile as though he was saying 'You're welcome'.

You tried to figure out the best way to sit so you were comfortable but could still work.

Putting your bad leg up so it was over the two chairs next to you and your back against the wall, you found comfort.

You reached down under your desk to grab your backpack when you realised it wasn't there.

Looking up, you saw it leaning against Mark's desk. You cleared your throats and he instantly looked up at you.

"Could you pass me my bag, please?" you said quietly, you were still a bit conscious about who was listening.

He smiled at you as he picked your bag up and placed it down gently on your desk.

"We're doing mythology today" he whispered to you and gave you a wink.

As your memory flooded back to you, you couldn't help but smile to yourself while he walked back to his desk.

You placed your notepad and textbook on your table and spent the other 10 minutes watching Mark.

It was a bit creepy to anyone else but you knew he'd be flattered.

You watched him unpack his class notes and put them on top of his laptop, which was already set up to the projector.

There was something about the way he moved that fascinated you, it was as though he was organised but winging it at the same time.

He knew what he was doing, while making it up as he went along. It worked for him.

You were at peace, until the door sung open and you saw a certain ex best friend of yours.

She looked at you the same way you looked at her, completely shocked.

You thought she was going to skip class and you suppose she thought you weren't well enough to come in.

She walked straight past you and to the seat she had been put in at the back, you broke eye contact with her and faced the front again.

Mark was already looking at her, he had that same look he had in his eye this morning.

"So nice of you to join us today, Nancy" Mark said, you cringed as soon as you heard her real name leave his lips.

She hated it, only her mum could call her that.

You could practically feel the heat radiating off of her from the back of the class.

"My pleasure" she said back, she couldn't have a more bitchy tone to he voice. There was only a short silence before she continued "Mark".

He froze to his spot when she said his real name, you looked between the two of them. They looked as though they were about to lunge at each other.

This was going to be a fun lesson.