Chapter 53

"How could you do that to me?" Jack raised his voice, a few students turning around and glancing at you as they walked past, none of the faces you recognised but the embarrassment of a public argument still hit you like a duffle bag of bricks being dropped off of the side of a skyscraper, it hit the ground in a puff of dust and a cracked pavement. But the ground was your stomach, and the duffle bag was your heart. 

You hated any form of personal issue being displayed for everyone and anyone to see. You tried to keep your head down and move past him, but he grabbed you by the shoulder and forced you to turn around. "Are you just going to ignore me now?" he was shouting now, "I don't know what you're talking about" you muttered to him and tried to pull out of his grasp, but his grip on you was too tight.

"You're really going to pretend that you're not being a huge arse right now?" he was basically screaming at you, people were starting to stop and talk amongst themselves. Even though you were really hurt  by the venom that was spewing from his mouth and practically dripping onto the floor between your shoes, you tried to keep a level head. "If you have something you want to talk to me about, then we can talk about it in private" you eyed the people that were starting to scramble for their phones, you tugged your jacket aggressively out of his hand "I think you need to calm down first though, I'm not having you talk to me like that" you turned your back on him and continued walking to class. You tried your best to ignore the blood vessels that were starting to swell inside your cheeks and making you flush a deep red, you were both embarrassed and annoyed.

"Oh I'm sorry" you heard a familiar voice shout from the same direction as Jack, that voice that grated on you like nails on a chalkboard. Instantly you scrunched up your face and shook your head, hoping that was the only place the voice actually existed and he wasn't right behind you - within punching distance. It was Jesse, but you weren't about to turn around and acknowledge his existence in the real world, he didn't deserve that; you thought about how Nova was the last time you saw her. 

Desperate. Practically skin and bones. You knew it had to be because of something he had done. The obvious bruise on her wrist was the biggest giveaway. 

"I'm sure Jack wouldn't want to upset the baby" he called to the back of your head, it made you stop in your tracks. You clenched your fist, trying to remain as calm as possible, normally you would have just swung at him and had it over and done with. But this was something that you didn't want going around the college, if you reacted at all it would make people think he was telling the truth and then the rumours would start. Even the slight movement of your hand into a fist may have been an already too obvious give away for some people, but you needed to stay calm. 

The human circle of people that had accumulated around you started to talk louder, the sound of 50, no, 100 people talking at the same time made the noise of a vocal thunder storm. You purposely raised an eyebrow and conveyed a confused expression. "What on earth are you talking about?" you asked, hopefully your acting ability was enough to throw the horde of strangers off the scent of, what could have been, the truth. You just hoped that this type of question wouldn't invoke him to go into more detail and reveal more about your personal life.

Glancing around at, what felt like, the thousand of eyes that were on you, you thought quickly "You have no idea what you're talking about half the time, let alone when it concerns someone else" you snapped, feeling proud of yourself. Although, you should probably not try to poke the bear too much. Something in his eyes said that he wasn't fully there, like there was someone driving but it very much wasn't Jesse, you know that old saying 'No lights on upstairs?', the bloodshot veins around his pupils suggested that exact saying.

"Oh, I know exactly what I'm talking about, are you going to act like that baby bump isn't Jack's?" Jesse snapped back, you audibly laughed at him - it wasn't even intentional, it was just an automatic response to something so stupidly ridiculous. "It's called being fat Jesse, it happens when - you know- you eat your meals instead of snorting them. You might want to try it sometimes" your calm and collected posture had completely gone through the window, the only image that was going through your head was the state he had put Nova in.