Chapter 47

"Nova?" you gasped, you hadn't seen her in months, and now she was trying to do some sort of trapeze act on your counter top? "Y/N?" she questioned, as though she was as surprised  to see you, in your own home. She really had some nerve, to just walk in and then talk to you as though nothing had happened. Either she had a memory of a goldfish, or she was actually attempting to piss you off.

"What are you doing here?" you questioned her, still slightly sour over the way things were left. "What are you doing here?" she mimicked, putting emphasis on the 'you', you shook your head in annoyance and took a few steps into the room.

"I live here" you said flatly, you weren't normally one to state the obvious but there was really no other explanation, "Well, I live here too" Nova chirped, it seemed like she was taking on a rather jolly attitude towards a situation that infuriated you.

"Do you?" you snapped, making reference to the fact she hadn't spent a night in your joint apartment for at least four months. She still hadn't turned around to face you, and that was making your temper soar even higher into the realm of 'about to fucking lose it'.

"Of course I do" she said as though she wasn't even paying attention, she was running her had over the top's of the cupboards. "What are you doing?" you shouted, barely even trying to control your rage, this caught her off guard and she nearly fell off of the counter - barely catching herself with her free hand.

"Jesus, Y/N, are you trying to kill me?" she chuckled, getting off of the counter slowly, "I wont be trying in a minute" you snapped, crossing your arms over your chest.  As soon as Nova faced you, you dropped your arms to your side and a more concerned expression invaded your face.

Nova's face was twice as slim as it used to be, her cheekbones were painfully visible and you could see every inch of her jaw. "Nova.." you said, caring, "What the hell happened to you?" you asked, full of worry.

"I lost a bit of weight" she shrugged, trying to brush the dust that she had accumulated from the shelf off of her hand, "A bit?!" you nearly screeched in disbelief, she must be at least 40 pounds lighter than when you last saw her. 

You watched as she glided across the kitchen and over to the sink, rolling her sleeves up to wash her hands; there was an uncomfortable silence.

"Why are you here, Nova?" you said cautiously, not sure what has been going on with her recently and not wanting to poke at any sore spots. "I came to get some of my stuff" she smiled, scrubbing her hands with soap.

"On top of the cupboard?" you laughed weakly, you knew she was lying, but all you could do wash watch her. She didn't reply, so you took a few steps towards her, nearly immediately wishing you hadn't.

As soon as you moved around her so her hands were in view, you could see a big purple bruise around her wrist, the main bulk of it was underneath but then it splintered off into five separate branches. There was no mistaking that it was a hand print.

"Who did this to you?" you asked her quietly, feeling your voice break a little bit, even through everything she did to you and the way she treated you, you still cared. She was still your longest friend, and you didn't want to see her in pain.

"I see you're walking without your crutches" she changed the subject almost instantly, you glanced down at your legs and then back up at her, she was still washing her hands.

"Yeah, my medication has been helping a lot" you sighed, she wasn't going to tell you anything she didn't want to, "Are you sure you should be taking medication?" she asked you, not taking her eyes off of her hands. You furrowed your eyebrows in confusion but answered with a simple "Yes?", then the awkward silence drifted it's way back in again.  "I think your hands are clean now" you commented, but she didn't stop. 

"Nova they're clean" you shouted, lunging forward and making a grab for her hands, she flinched away from you and shifted herself backwards at your movement. You eyed her intently and turned off the tap.

Looking down at her hands, you noticed they were bleeding. You had no idea what was wrong with her or how you could even begin to help, so you grabbed a hand towel off of the side and slowly handed it to her.

She took it and started to dry her hands that would definitely start to blister tomorrow, "Why are you here, honestly, Nova?" you asked again, not being able to take your eyes off of her hands, "Am I not allowed to come and visit my best friend?" she quipped.

"We both know that's not the reason" you deadpanned, giving her a look of slight annoyance. "I need money" she eventually said, her whole body language moved into an image of shame, "I thought I might have left some in my room, so I came back to check" she added.

"Right..." you said, motioning for her to continue, but she didn't. She sighed loudly and stood up straight "It's a good thing I came back anyway" she smiled, you said nothing but gave her the same motion you did only moments prior.

"The baby" she said as though it was obvious, your eyes popped open and you found yourself genuinely unable to say anything other than a "What?".

Hi, hey, how are you all? Sorry I've been a bit MIA recently, I just got fired from my job at the cafe and I'm panicking about how I'm going to survive without a stable income.

Thank you again to Kari K, and Rachel V for supporting me on Patron, you have no idea how much stress that little donation takes off of me.

Thank you all for your love and support - Angel x