Tessa Louis Jackson (1)

Wichita? The name already lets me know that my life is practically over. I was just fine in L.A.; I had amazing friends, a great boyfriend, and the perfect tan 24/7. I originally planned to stay with my mom in L.A., those plans changed when I woke up last week and she was gone. Everything of hers was gone and all that was left was a note that said,

"Tessa,

I'm sorry. I have to go discover what my worth is. By the time you read this I'll be half way to Greece. My phone won't work much while I'm over here so I'll send you letters whenever I can, I promise. As soon as I find the right place to live I'll tell you and you can decide if you want. Until then, please be good to your father. Kansas can't be that bad doll.

Love you XOXO Mom"

I'm not going to try and hide my anger, but at the same time I really want to live in Greece so hopefully it doesn't take her long. Until she finds the perfect house for the two of us, I am stuck with my father who probably doesn't even know my eye color.

Yesterday my dad and I filled two huge moving trucks and my uncles, who live in Kansas, drove them and our cars the 21 hours for us. This morning I woke up at 7 a.m. and kind of just sat there looking around at my empty room, this has been my room my whole life and I can honestly say it has never been so clean. I guess I got lost in my train of thought because my 8 a.m. alarm started going off. I slowly roll out of bed and head toward the bathroom grabbing the t-shirt and sweatpants I set aside for this morning.

"Tessa we have to leave in 10 minutes or we'll miss our flight!" My dad practically screams from downstairs.

Looks like I don't have time for a shower... I pull on my clothes and throw my pajamas into my backpack. I double check all of the cabinets and drawers in my room and bathroom one last time, cram my phone charger into my bag, and slip on my shoes. I look around my room one last time bringing every memory back. I put my phone in my pocket and sling my backpack over my shoulders. Closing the door behind me I head down the stairs and see my dad standing impatiently at the front door.

"It'll be okay princess" he pats my back. He can probably sense my nerves, I hate flying.

I open the door and our uber is already waiting for us. "So this is it, isn't it?" Giving my dad the puppy dog eyes.

"No, this is the start of a new adventure" He winks and opens up the door to the backseat for me.

An hour later we finally make it to our gate after standing in line at security for half an hour, all I can say is thank god my dad and I only have carry-ons with us.

"Last call for flight 4850 to Wichita, Kansas!" An annoyed workers calls.

My dad and I show her our tickets and make our way through the tunnel. You know I didn't expect a lot of people to be on the plane, but I expected more than 34. We make our way back to our seats. My plan is to sleep for the entire four and a half hour flight, so I put in my headphones, buckle my seat belt, and quickly drift off.

What felt like seconds later, my dad nudges me and pulls out one of my headphones. "We're here."

Pulling out the other I look out the window and instantly I can tell it is like 40 degrees. I turn around to see my dad already standing up, holding my backpack in one hand and his bag in the other. We exit the plane and head straight towards pick-up. Immediately we see one of my cousins waiting for us at the curb.

"Oh Tessie you've grown up so much!" he bear hugs me then turns to my dad "You haven't aged a bit Big Nate..." My dad shakes his head laughing and we get in the car.