three

After suffering a long three classes at school, I finally made it to my fourth period. Stepping into the classroom and seeing the cute boy who confessed his sexuality to me made me bubble inside. I keep my cool and walk toward him, only to twist my foot and fall quickly to the floor with a grunt.

"Oh God, are you okay?" he asks rushing to my side.

"Fuck no, I'm not okay, I look like an idiot now." He laughs and Jessie kicks my butt while I refuse to get up from the floor.

"You are an idiot, now get up and lets sit down." I stand up with Christian's help. I can feel his muscles contract in his arms as he lifts me from the ground, and his smile had been plastered ever since I walked in. We stare into each other's eyes for an entire three seconds before we both cut away and sit down.

"Wow, you really are hooked," Jessie says nudging me with her elbow. I pinch her arm hard and she tries to hold back her screech.

"I hope you don't mind him sitting here, Jessie?" Christian questions about me sitting so that they were separated.

"Of course not, I can just-" she begins scooting her desk and turning it so that she was facing us, "do this. Now I have front row seats."

"Bitch..." I say under my breath and she giggles.

"Okay, you guys need to get along," Christian protests with his hands out.

"Everyone quiet down," Mrs. Auvil says and we begin class.

After school ends, we head out to the parking lot. Jessie sings a dumb country song the whole way there, and I want to shoot myself. When we say goodbye to her, she gives Christian and I a big hug so that it shoves us together. I thump her after about ten awkward seconds and she releases us. Christian is blushing so hard and I'm silently cursing her for making him feel so awkward.

"I love you guys, stay..." she turns away then turns back after a pause, "safe." She then winks and I want to snatch her by her pretty blonde hair.

"Okay, bye Jess," Christian says as she steps into her car. We head off to my car and I want to hold his hand so bad but I know we aren't out yet. I just really want to be his, out loud and proud. Then I remember we aren't even dating and my stomach churns.

"You know this area is super accepting, right?" I blurt, not being able to stay quiet.

"What?" he asks.

"You know, about homosexuality. It's a wonderful city where love is free and unfettered... which means free and free. Love wins around here, there's nothing to be ashamed of."

"I know that, but my dad..." he trails.

"Yeah, never mind I'm sorry. Maybe some day he'll get over it."

"What did your mom say about you liking guys?" I think back to Mom having such a bad night and I feel a twinge in my heart.

"She told me she didn't know I liked guys, which I haven't for long, but she wants me to be happy. I did mention you and that your dad is homophobic, which broke her heart. She says she can't believe someone would be so against loving someone. So just remember that there are more people on your side than not." He stops and takes my hands, looking into my eyes. I see the thankfulness in his heart through his irises. He pulls me into a hug, right in the middle of the lot, closing off our world from the rest.

And then someone honks their horn at us. I jump and look at the people in their car. It was two girls smiling and clapping. They shared a kiss and, as we moved to the side of the road, drove past us. It was wonderful to see such open affection, I wish I knew them. Christian takes my hand and I look over at him. He nods his head, and we continue to walk to my parking spot, hands intertwined.