sixteen

"You... you're bisexual?" Christian stutters. Oh God, here we go.

"Yeah, I know. It might come as a shock," Ethan says.

"No kidding. How come you– why haven't you told me?"

"Well, to be completely honest, I didn't know how you would react. For a long time, I thought you would be disgusted by me. Thought maybe you wouldn't accept me."

"Long time? Okay so it's been a while, huh!?" Christian gets a bit more heated. Ethan's face falters.

"Ever since I started working with Tobias, I have been utterly infatuated. But I never have said anything because I'm not positive if he is gay or bi. For six years, I've struggled to come to terms with it, and I'm ready now."

"Yeah, of course you are!" Christian rises from his seat. "I struggled with it for longer than that, so when I came out to you, it was the perfect opportunity for it to be your turn?!"

"Baby, that's not what this is. Yes, it's easier now that we have something in common, but I never would have hurt you or thought you were any less of my son."

"How would I know? You were never around to tell me that I was accepted. You may have felt that way, but you never told me, and it scared me all my life. Look... I'm happy for you, okay? But I'm not happy with you right now." Christian walks quickly out of the room and slams the door. I sit awkwardly balled up on the couch, trying not to scream or cry or whatever I really felt like doing.

"Well that went shitty." Ethan says and sighs a heavy sigh. He rubs his face with his hands and groans aloud in frustration.

"How was it supposed to go?" I ask. "He was terrified for years about telling you, and now that he has finally poured his heart out to you, he takes it as you having the easy route to do that same thing."

"Well he acts like I haven't went through the same thing. Yes, the part where I actually tell him becomes easier, but I still kept it a secret and struggled with it for six years!" he barks.

"But he's always liked boys! Always! He has never liked girls, and he still doesn't. Don't you think you'd feel like a freak, especially if everyone used your sexuality as an insult? It's fucking hard, excuse my language. And to top it all off, you were never his rock when he needed you, so he was never able to tell the most important person in his life that he was gay!" I raise my voice, but not to a shout. Ethan needs to understand how hard these things are for Christian, but I also don't want to get kicked out for being rude.

"Oh my God, I never... thought about it that way. What the hell is wrong with me?" He puts his face in his hands and tries not to break down.

"Nothing is wrong with you. It isn't all your fault at all. Society has that standard that most guys seem they have to follow, and it is terrifying to imagine wavering away from that straight line on the spectrum."

"Good analogy," he mumbles and I chuckle. I put my arm around his shoulder and give him a shake of reassurance, then suddenly getting hugged again. I smiled at how this bulky, menacing man could be so sweet and caring. "I would appreciate if you could talk to Christian, even if it requires staying here again. And I'm willing to discuss everything with your mother personally if she becomes upset with you."

"Thank you, but I think I will be okay. I will try talking to him, maybe he'll want to speak with you again tonight, I don't know."

"I'm so sorry you are being dragged into this. But you are my only hope of getting him to not hate me."

"Never apologize. You have and are doing so much for me, I can only repay you as best I can." Ethan nods with a sad smile as I walk away, tracking Christian down.