eleven

Quentin and Hector Episode

"So, new kid, where are you from exactly?" one of my friends, Quentin, asks Christian. We sit in the hectic cafeteria on Monday, during the best part of the day: lunch.

"I used to live here when I was little, but then I moved north for most of my life. My dad and I finally had a chance to move back, and it's awesome here."

"You're damn right it's awesome here, home of the Sharks baseball team!" Quentin jerks himself off. Metaphorically of course, at least right now.

"And this guy," Hector, another friend of mine, says pointing to me, "was the best player we had! But he quit sophomore year because we lost the playoff game."

"It was a rough loss!" I defend. "I have justification! Plus I was getting tired of the whole sporty life, you never get a break. And I was far from best player."

"I think you're just afraid to lose again. But it's too late now, you can't join the team. Potential senior year of victory and scholarships down the drain." Quentin retorts.

"I think Jay is smart enough to get an academic scholarship," Christian stands up for me. I reach my arms around his middle and squeeze him tightly in a hug. I rest my head in the crook of his neck and smile.

"Thanks, but I'm kinda dumb," I say bluntly and Christian laughs as I release him. When Christian and I finish our moment, we turn back to Quentin and Hector, both of them staring at us with immature smiles.

"That was the gayest thing I've ever seen, Jay! You might want to chill out, or you'll never get a girlfriend!" Quentin laughs mockingly and Hector chuckles low, but not trying to embarrass me. Thanks, Hector. I feel my blood begin to boil and Christian takes my hand under the table. I quickly remember that the only person that matters right now is the boy trying to keep me calm, so I simmer down.

"I am gay. You fucking idiot." I stare intently at Quentin as his eyes widen and his smile fades quickly. I feel Christian's grip tighten on my hand. Hector frowns hard and looks down into his lap.

"Oh, I-I, I didn't know, Jay. How long has that been?" Quentin asks nervously, walking on eggshells.

"Not sure, doubt you'd care to hear the story. Let's go, Christian." I stand with Christian's hand still in mine and we take our trays to another table. I hear Quentin stutter out words to stop me, but I keep walking. I cannot believe Quentin could be so insensitive, he was my best friend in baseball. We find a quiet, empty table right outside under a tree to sit at. I stuff my face quickly so I don't have to answer Christian's impending questions.

"I think Quentin made a mistake, but he was making an effort to fix it." I roll my eyes at my boyfriend, wondering how he doesn't understand.

"It doesn't matter, Christian. He's an insensitive bastard homophobe. I thought he was different, but I guess I was wrong." I take another bite of the sandwich I was eating and sulk some more. I am snapped out of my selfishness with a voice.

"Hey, J-Jay," Quentin says. I don't turn to see him, still madly upset.

"Yeah," I say nonchalantly.

"I'm sorry, about that. I-I'm not, judging you at all. I think your decision is beautiful. To be free and open enough to be gay, it must be nice."

"What the hell do you mean nice, it's horrible. You struggle with society's view on you and hope for acceptance. It's not free and open at first, it takes a lot of work. And you fucking spat on it."

"I have something I'd like to tell you, actually," he says sincerely with a low tone. I finally turn to him and see his face full of worry and pain. I physically feel my face become somber as I motion for him to sit down across us. "I'm gay, too."