ten

"Sorry to barge in like this," he says with a soft, but deep intimidating voice. I allow him to walk in a few steps and I shut the door behind him. I offer him a seat but he stays standing. "I'm Christian Tanner's father, and I've been calling him for two days trying to find him. I'm worried sick about him, and I'd like for you to take this photo and contact me if you've seen him."

He hands me a paper with Christian's photo and Ethan's phone number is below it. I don't know what to say, or if I should tell him Christian is here, but I don't know. I want to know if he's notified the police or if he took Christian's warning. "Well, sir, have you went to the police about the matter?"

"Well, no. My son sent me a text telling me he would never forgive me if I involved police. I'm just trying to find him myself and maybe apologize so he'll forgive me. I just want to take my son home."

"Sorry if it's a bit personal to ask, but what did you do to make him run away?"

"Something bad enough." I nod, not wanting him to begin crying or suspecting me. Either one is bad for my health. "I think that my cue to go, please keep an eye out and–" he stopped and his gaze turned to the hall behind me. My body swelled with panic, knowing exactly who was behind me.

"Dad," Christian whispers. I back away and join Christian's side. "You found me?"

"Well, yeah, I've been so- so worried. I'm just glad you're okay."

"Bullshit!" Christian snapped and Ethan's lip quivered slightly at his anger. "You chased me through the house and beat on the door until you passed out! I had to sneak out of the window and scale the wall just to escape you! I thought you were- I thought you were going to hurt me!"

"You risked your life to get away from me?" Ethan asks, his eyes puffy and tears rolling onto his cheeks. "I know I've come off as homophobic, and maybe I have a hard time changing my mindset, but son, you being gay would never affect how much I love you."

"Then why did you run and scream down the halls at home when I came in? That doesn't sound like love."

"I wasn't upset you were gay, I was upset that you never told me. And I never wanted to hurt you or anything. I was calling to you because I wanted to talk. I'm so sorry I scared you, baby. I love you, you're everything I have!"

"That's all I've ever wanted to hear, dad! For years, you've neglected spending time with me, that maybe if you were around you would have already known I was gay!"

"I know."

"You go out every weekend and drink, fuck women and leave your son at home to do what he wants! Don't you want to be unlike your father?!"

"I–"

"You what?! How could you possibly have anything to say that would argue my point?"

"Don't you love the things I buy you?"

"Dad, appreciation and love are two entirely different things. I am immensely grateful for everything you give me. That's why I've never told you any of this, because I would sound ungrateful. But all I've ever really wanted was your love, and your acceptance!"

"I'm sorry. So sorry." He cups his face in both hands and takes a seat on the chair behind him. I realize suddenly Christian and I are holding hands. I squeeze it hard to tell him silently that his dad has had enough.

"Let him speak, Christian." He looks at me in slight shock for a second but must've realized how heavily he was breathing. He nods to me and turn s his attention to his distraught father.