thirtysix

"Ah, school," Austin says with a big whiff of his breath. "Smells like teen spirit."

"And that smells like...?" I ask.

"Depression and anxiety. Oh, and a lot of cologne from Hollister."

"That's the smell of opportunity," Christian says with a glittering smile.

"That's the smell of teenage angst, and there's no opportunity in that algorithm at all," I say cynically.

"Who cares," Jessie says. She runs ahead of us and begins walking backwards. "School has been so boring without our two local gay star-boys."

"CHRISTIAN! JAY!" I hear screaming in the distance. When I turn around, I am quickly met with a girl that collapses on top of me. When I come to and open my eyes after my brain is rattled, I see a fluff of curly, dark hair in my face.

"Rosie?" I ask. I could tell from her giggle that it was her. She leans back and reveals her face, then kisses my cheek.

"I missed you guys so much," she chimes happily and leaps off of me to Christian. Kelsey lifts me from the pavement and I thank her with a dumb grin.

"Guys, the bell rang like five minutes ago. We're all gonna be late," Kelsey informs as we all stand around like fools. The ginger-haired girl is perfect for Rosie; she's like her very own rationale embodied. Rosie is a lost puppy without Kelsey helping her stay tame. It works, though, and they are literally perfect for each other.

"I haven't really met either of you, I'm Jessie," Jessie introduces herself to the other girls. They giggle at her.

"You're so pretty!" Rosie exclaims and ruffles Jessie's hair. "I'm Rosie, this is Kelsey. We know about you through Jay. He's told us a lot. All good things, of course."

"You're way too talkative, Rose," Kelsey scolds. Rosie rolls her eyes and pouts. Kelsey grabs Rosie's hood and drags her along to the school. We all follow suit into the massive building. This isn't the biggest city in the world by any means, but when you only have one public school, it gets crowded. Once we all file through the front and sign in as late, we all head to our respective classes.

"Bye, Jaybird!" Jessie and Christian chant together as they take the other hall along with Rosie. Kelsey and Austin head in the same direction as me.

"So, Kels," I speak.

"Yeah?" she asks, slight shrillness in her voice.

"Jeez, do you not like me or something?"

"Ah, no, Jay," she says apologetically, "it's just that I'm upset this morning. Rosie had us running crazy this morning, what with the toaster catching on fire and us not having gas because she ran to the store last night to get toaster strudels, which are the sole purpose the toaster burst into flames–"

"Okay, okay," I interrupt before she has an aneurism. Austin chuckles at her story. I don't. I start to think maybe they aren't the most perfect couple. They may get into arguments over little things, but their personalities are so conflicting sometimes that it doesn't matter what the kerfuffle is about.

"With all that being said... I couldn't live without her." I see her eyes glisten in the bright fluorescent lighting of the hallway. "She's gotten me through so much, I really don't deserve her. She makes my life so interesting and whole. Even if she's like an annoying sister. I love her."

"You love her, huh?" Austin nudges her.

"I don't even know you, creep," she says with a sneer, and I laugh at her thumping Austin in the forehead.