nine

The wind blew vigorously, as I lie in the grass and stare up at the sky. It was a beautiful hue of pale blue, with wispy clouds as a soft blanket. The grass feels itchy, but smells so earthy and familiar. I suddenly feel a poke at my bare foot, and I sit up.

Christian.

Christian is my best friend. My mom always wants me to call him brother, but I don't know why. He is really like my brother, we sleep together, eat together, and do everything together. I've never had a closer friend, and I think he feels the same.

"Jay, what should we play?" Christian asks me with a bored look on his four-year-old face. I am not sure what we should do. I was enjoying just lying here in the wind, with my best friend, of course.

"Come here and lie down beside me," I say and he pouts, but does as I ask. Christian quickly lies next to me and we stare up at the sky, the Sun blocked by the clouds.

"I'm bored," he says and I feel slightly hurt that he doesn't want to relax with me. I guess it makes sense, he is younger and more hyper than me.

"Doesn't the wind feel nice, though? And watching the clouds move is so fun."

"No it's not, but if you think it's fun, then I guess that's me being dumb again."

"You're not dumb, Christian."

"I know, Jay."

"I love you, you're my best friend."

"I love you, too, you're my brother!" He hugs me and I hug him back. I long everyday for his hugs. I'm so excited to spend my life with my new brother, that I always wanted.

'Boy, was that wishful thinking.'

"I'm so tired of you shit, Erica!" Christian and I cringe at the sound of his prone-to-anger father.

"Oh, you're tired of me, Ethan? Grow up." She slaps him across the face and walks over to me. She crouches down and takes my hand. "Come on baby, we're leaving."

"But, I'm playing with Christian," I say, pointing to a disappointed Christian.

"We'll talk about it later, come on. Say goodbye to Christian for now." Mom forces a smile. I stood up and walked over to Christian and gave him a final hug for the day.

"I'll see you later, okay?" Christian reassured me. I nodded shyly and made him pinky promise. I then walked away with Mom, never to see him again.

At least, not for a while.

~

All of a sudden, I'm gasping for air, like I had been diving in the ocean for treasure. My legs ache and burn, a feeling like a poison in my veins. I scramble to Christian's limp body and shake him frantically. He groans low in his throat and his eyes snap open. I sigh in relief and my face drops to the floor. It takes a moment for the dream I just had to register. Our eyes quickly met again and I leapt forward, cradling him in my arms. We both began to weep into each other's bare shoulders.

"What does this all mean?" I hear Christian croak, breaking the silence.

"I don't know, I don't–"

I'm cut off by an intense knocking at my door.

"Jay, Christian, are you boys alright? Open the door!" I panic at our situation. She has a key, so she may unlock it if she worries too much. I struggle to choke back my emotions and sound normal for her.

"W- we're okay Mom, just, just getting ready!" I hear her sigh in relief, or annoyance, and stamp away. I clench Christian's soft hair in my hand and cup his cheek. I need to see him, I need to take in all his features. I want to see his sea colored irises, which remind me of the sea of dreams I've been in lately. I need to take in where his cheekbones reach, how his lips are traced, how he has a small scar on his nose. "I missed you so much, and I completely forgot you... even existed?"