thirtyseven

"No," I respond to this information. "I'm not doing this today, not like this." I cross my arms and spin around to face the door, thought I don't leave. I am holding in so many different emotions right now– anger, confusion, sadness– that I couldn't possibly hold back. The one that overpowers is rage.

"I want to talk to you, get to actually know y–"

"Is that right?!" I yell, turning to face this man who has the audacity to call me his son. "You'd looove to get to know me, after all these years? Well guess what? I would've loved to have known you my entire life!" My throat clenches around the vile words I cannot control.

"Jay, please–"

"I'm not done, not nearly done. You think you can come back into my life– my mother's life– and expect no repercussions? Hell no! All the struggle, the heartbreak she endured, a single mother. Are you not sorry for any of it?"

"Of course I am!" he interjects. It doesn't phase me, I know if he's capable of passion, he should be apologetic. "I'm trying to make it up to her, and you, if you just give me a chance."

"Well, Mom, keeping this a secret from me was a shitty way of starting a second chance."

"Jay, I know you're upset."

"All those times I was with Christian, all the late nights at work, you were seeing him, weren't you? That's why you didn't mind my relationship with him."

"Wait, him? You're dating a boy?" Nicholas says.

"Can it, Nic."

"You better calm down right now, Jay. This is not fair. We should be civil about this," Mom begs. I don't want civility. I want justice. The man standing before me was who was supposed to be there for me these past 19 years, and now he's back for more. I don't trust him, and I don't want to even look at him.

"I'll do this for you, Mom. Alright, Dad," I say crassly, "Let's talk." We walk into the living room and sit down, me across from my parents.

"How old are you?" he asks.

"When's my birthday?" I counter.

"It was Friday," he says. "I guess that means you're 19."

"Yeah."

"This is so weird, talking to my son I've never met before," he chuckles. I'm disgusted. This isn't funny at all. I'm like his pet project or something.

"Mom, what did you see in this loser? He left you and me all alone, and you have no shame in falling for him all over again?"

"Jay, play nice," she says through teeth.

"Naturally I'm mad, Mother. Forgive me."

"You look really nice, well dressed and in shape. I'm glad you're doing okay."

"Thanks, I guess. Oh shit, Christian is sitting outside in the car."

"Is that your boyfriend?" he asks.

"Yeah, I'm just gonna text him to come inside and go to my room or something."

"No, I wanna meet him," Nicholas says. I feel a bit of chest pain after hearing those words.

"O-okay," I stutter. Christian comes inside and gives us all a strange look, but comes to me motioning him over. Christian sits next to me and his eyes lock onto my parents.