eighteen

"So how's everything going with you guys?" I ask Quentin and Hector as we take our seats at the lunch table.

"We've been doing great relationship-wise," Quentin says. "Oh, I wish you were there when we told the team. Some of them laughed but then hugged us and were super understanding. Others kind of hate us now. Which is funny to me, I couldn't care less what they think."

"What about the parents?"

"Well," Quentin says, "my mom was very understanding. My dad had a hard time accepting it at first. He told me it must just be a phase. After I explained everything to him that it is hard to accept yourself, let alone other people accepting me, he was very apologetic. So it went well and my dad seems a bit more interested in my life now, which is great."

"What about you, Hector?" Christian asks. He has been quiet, which has been worrying me.

"They aren't open to it at all. I haven't denied any privileges like I ultimately imagined, but they won't even talk to me without insulting me. It's... heavy. But also I feel so light, like I have nothing to hide anymore. And I can be free, with this dickhead by my side the whole time." Quen shoves him and they peck lips, which makes me smile.

"Yeah, I decided to let him come out on his own," Quentin says. "It didn't go too well, and if I was there, it would've made things much worse. So we have to keep it a secret from his parents for now. My parents know, though."

"I'm sorry that it didn't go so great, Hector," Christian's face falls. I pull him into my side and rub his shoulder.

"It isn't your fault," Hector says.

"Well, I did pressure you to come out."

"And I'm as happy as I've ever been! I want to thank you again for helping me realize how bullshit keeping it a secret was. And we," he gestures to Quen, "don't have to hide our feelings like we were."

Hector and Christian continue to talk, and I take my phone out and text Quen under the table.

Me: I found that box of condoms from sophomore year ;)

Quen checks his phone and then looks up to my gaze, blushing.

Quen: holy crap I forgot about that I'm so embarrassed now

Me: why? It was just a friendly gift

Quen: no man that was supposed to be a hint you know... from me to you

Me: I figured tbh. I'm sorry I was so blind and ignorant

Quen: it's okay. we've both got better boyfriends now lol
have you used those condoms?

I look up at him in real life and chuckle.

Me: I never did. I'm still a virgin

Quen: how? just how? And how has Christian not wanted to do it yet??? ur fuckin hot

Me: chill man. there's reasons okay

Quen: okay sorry

Me: what about you guys?

Quen: :( not quite

"Are you guys texting each other?" Christian asks and both our heads shoot up from our laps.

"No!" we say in unison and Christian and Hector laugh.