Ch. 40

You people ready for a long chapter? (Well longer than usual.) Cause I'm in a tornado watch and well I've got nothin better to do. Might as well write. 

ready. set. write. 

                 Right about now I start to wish I had headphones, or earbuds, or SOMETHING. See, everybody tells you about the amazing adventures when you set out on a quest... but then never tell you about the hours that it takes to get to place to place. Usually when someone is retelling the story of their dangerous adventure, they skip right over those parts, just ignoring them and putting in some stupid fill in like "Then we got in a cab and drove to freaking Rome." Really? You can't just "drive" to Rome. It's stupid. However, now I understand why they do that, because I'm sitting here bored as heck and wishing I had some music. 

               To fill you in, Percy got the four of us some train tickets to get us as far away from the city as possible, and into the forest open small town areas of New York. Supposedly that's where this son of Hecate would be. Might I also add, we don't even know if this guy is alive, or how to find him exactly. We just know where to start. Believe me, if we do all this work and it ends up the guy is dead, I will NOT be happy. 

               I'm sitting next to Nico and Annabeth on the train. I would've preferred to sit on an end, but with Nico and Percy here, it just wasn't gonna happen. Nico is fiddling around with a chain attached to his belt. He looks bored, but I'm not going to interrupt his fiddling. Annabeth is reading a book that she pulled out of her bag. I wonder if all her backpack has in it is books, I wouldn't doubt it. Unintentionally I start to stare at her blonde hair. It's not my fault though, her hair is just so pretty. It's curled beautifully and it goes into a messy bun atop her head without fault. The shorter pieces of hair fall in front of her ears shrouding her and her book. 

               I look at my hair. It's unbearably disgusting. The blackness is supposed to look sleek, but right now it just looks greasy and dirty.  I push my hair back behind my ears and look to see what Percy's doing. Turns out he's... what is he doing? I look a little closer, leaning forward but trying to break Annabeth's concentration. Percy seems to be tying a piece of string in a knot over and over again until it keeps getting shorter. He sees me looking at him. I mouth to him, "What are you doing?" He drops the string on his lap and moves his hands in a 'I don't even know' motion. I roll my eyes lean back against my seat. 

              Before I even realize it, I've dosed off, and Annabeth is waking me up, "We're here." She tells me, standing up. I look around hazily. 

              She sees me looking and reads me before I even understand why I'm looking, "Percy and Nico are already off the train, lets go." She says.

              I stand up and follow her out the door. Percy and Nico are looking at a map of this park of New York on the wall. I partially overhear their conversation as me and Annabeth walk up. 

              "No." Nico points at some town on the map, "Look, we are here, his last known location was over here," He slides his hand over and points at somewhere else. 

             Percy scratches the back of his head for a moment, "Lies," He comes to a conclusion, "Last time I checked what Annabeth found pointed us in the direction of going over here," Percy points at the map in the opposite direction than where Nico pointed. 

             Nico glares at Percy with an annoyed look on his face. Annabeth walks up to the map and points in the middle of where Percy and Nico guessed, "Actually boys you're both wrong. We're going here."

             Nico sighs and walks away closer to where I'm standing, Percy however still looks confusing, "What? I thought that's where I pointed." 

             It takes everything in me to stop from laughing but Annabeth does, "No seaweed brain, it's not." 

             The three of us start to walk away from the map, me and Nico following Annabeth. Percy stands at the map for a moment before running to catch up, "Really?" He asks. Nobody answers. 

            Annabeth leads us out of the small train station. I'm not sure how far away from town we are, but there was only about 5 other people on the train that we got off of. We start to walk away from what little civilization there is left. Apparently where Annabeth thinks we need to go, is close enough to walk. 

               We walk for at least an hour when I start to feel a burning sensation on my leg. I ignore it for a while but it keeps getting stronger the more we walk. Then, I hear it, Oh that's painful isn't it. I jump, startled by the voice in my head returning. Luckily, I'm at the back of the group and nobody sees me. I think about trying to reply to the voice and get its attention but somehow I know it's not going to respond. 

                Right about then, the burning pain in leg gets to hot and I realize where its coming from. "Ow!" I yell, pulling out my car from my right hand pants pocket. I throw it on the ground and it starts to hop around, sizzling. 

                 Everybody looks back at me. They all seem to have the same confused expression until they see the card on the ground, "What in Hades!?" Nico backs up away from it, and I do the same. 

                  Percy still has the same confused expression, and Annabeth just looks shocked. My sword is on the ground burning. The card ripped itself from heat pressure and my sword appeared on the ground, the metal turning black and red. My sword is on fire.