ch. 55

so... sorry about my absence. i'm officially a senior in high school now! woohoo, i guess. before writing this chapter i reread my whole story, a much needed refresher. and i'll try my best to continue it, as long as i can. thank you guys for your support and for pestering me to update, it's actually really nice to hear people like my crap.

-

Percy transforms his pen into riptide and grins slightly. If I were him I definitely wouldn't be smiling while looking at a monster that's about to fight me but hey maybe the more experience you have the easier it gets. Right now I'm sitting at two experience points and one of them I got by setting up a trap made out of logs... doesn't really count as a fight.

Sonny suddenly comes lunging at Percy and I take a few steps back, nearly falling. Percy however reacts quickly and smoothly (so experience is good for something) slicing a deep gash into one of Sonny's legs. Sonny growls in disapproval as Percy runs behind him. Then making a 180, Sonny leaves claws marks in the cement ground as he lunges for Percy again.

My eyes then drift from that action as I see Annabeth run around them as they fight and she goes straight for lady. Nico starts to follow but Sonny's snake head tail turns around and hisses at him. Nico takes the opportunity and dodges the snake as it goes to bite, then a clean slice and the snake is out. One animal head down, two to go.

I'm terrified out of my mind, yet intrigued all the same that they're responding so well and fighting so swiftly. I do however feel pretty useless back here, trembling like a lost puppy.

As I focus on Nico and Percy teaming up to take down the lion and goat heads I notice Annabeth now pinning the lady down on the side of her car, knife to her throat.

And it's not even thirty seconds later Percy and Nico finish their job, Percy taking down the lion head and Nico the goat. The monster explodes into green mist and that's the end of it.

"Sonny!" the lady screams, but she holds back slightly as Annabeth's knife continues to press against her throat.

Nico and Percy walk over to lady and I follow not far behind. She looks slightly as if she's gonna cry at the loss of her monster dog, but it'll be back later sometime so I don't really get why she's sad.

"So you wanna tell me why you're here?" Percy leans against the car.

"Why I'm here? Really?" she hisses, "Four demigods walking around and you don't think you're gonna stir up trouble?"

"Of course we do," Annabeth replies, "But why you, specifically."

She flashes a bit of an evil looking smile, "What? I can't just say it's because I wanted to see you? It has been a long time."

Percy looks at her unimpressed.

She sighs, "Fine then. I was sent, but I'm not fond of being 'sent' places. I enjoy being on my own account. I am the great mother of monsters after all. So for that reason I'll tell you this," she looks over at me and I immediately get chills, "Posiedon isn't the only deity you're connected to. And if you want to know who it is I'm referring to, if you want answers to the questions you really care about, then you'll go to Springfield, Ohio. That's the only place you're gonna find what you want."

Ohio? What's in Ohio? Isn't it literally all corn? And I'm creeped out now, how does this crazy lady know who I am?

"Where in Springfield?" Annabeth asks.

"Oh jeez so needy you kids are," the lady whines, "I can't say exactly, might get in trouble... more than I already am for telling you all this. Let's just say it's under ice."

Percy rolls his eyes at the cryptic answer, "I've had about enough of you. Lets go."

As we walk away, back inside the hotel I hear her laughing behind us, "I'll see you again someday. You can count on it."

"So... who was that anyway?" I ask once we're back to the room.

"Echidna, and her chimera." Annabeth answers.

"Is it just me or does that make no sense, why would she tell us all that?" Nico asks.

"Well," Annabeth sits down on her and Percy's bed, exhausted, "even though she wasn't happy about it, she DID say she was sent. Which means that whoever sent her could be leading us to-"

"A trap," Percy completes.

"I do like to finish my own sentences, seaweed brain."

"And I like dramatic effect," Percy shrugs, then turns to me, "But she is right. It could be a trap. Do you have any affiliation with that town in Ohio? Or Ohio at all?"

I shake my head, "None. I've never even been there."

There's a pause for a few seconds before Annabeth pipes up, "It is our only lead on where to go next. Which means we're going to-"

"Ohio."

"PERSEUS JACKSON I WILL SMACK YOU."

Percy laughs as he lays down next to Annabeth and she hits him on the side of the face multiple times, "I get it! I get it!" He says between laughs.

I smile and laugh a little bit as well, and out of the corner of my eye I see Nico smiling too.