Ch. 53

quick story: my friends and i found a puppy in an abandoned house and we had to leave her there but we came back the next day and now she's living at home with one of my friends and i couldn't be happier. (pic is of her when we found her)

——

I turn towards the clock on the little nightstand between the two beds.

2:30 am.

No way. I was asleep that long? That long? It felt like I had only slept a second. And if it is half past two already then I have to wonder, did Nico even go to sleep?  ....does he sleep? No that's rude I shouldn't say that.

"Do you sleep?"

Did I just say that? Oh my crap I just said that. I promptly remind myself to hurry up and fix this, "No no, I didn't mean that," I spurt out quickly, "I mean, have you slept tonight at all?"

He looks down and for a split second I swear I see a slight smile and laugh, "Yes I sleep," he responds, "Just haven't tonight. Thinking about some stuff."

For a moment I don't respond but it doesn't take me long to realize that after the dream I just had I'll be darned if I'm able to go back to sleep, so I might as well keep indulging in conversation, "What type a stuff?"

Nico sighs, "Nothing special."

I lean back and internally groan. So much for conversation, I think to myself.

As we sit in silence my mind wanders and I start thinking about that stupid voice and the card it gave me. I just honestly don't understand what's going on. Not in the slightest. Every time I try to figure out one piece to the puzzle it seems as if the confusion just gets bigger. I honestly don't even know what I'm doing here. I mean sure, I'm on a quest with Nico, Annabeth, and Percy. But why so quick? Why did my life have to get turned upside down so drastically in such a short time? Honestly it wasn't that long ago that I was just looking at a gy with black hair rumaging through my stuff. I almost wanna go back to being homeless and alone.

With this in my mind I start to wonder about everybody else's backgrounds. I mean obviously they all ended up at Camp Half-Blood one way or another, but I want to know more. It's clear that 'the seven' and Nico have a detailed past together but I only know bits and pieces. Kinda makes me feel late to the draw.

After a few minutes of laying here pondering all this I get sick of doing nothing. I stand up and walk towards the door, "I'm going for a walk," I direct my words towards Nico, but he probably doesn't care.

I take the elevator downstairs and walk outside to get some fresh air. While I'm standing there I see one lone car pass on the roads but other than that it's completely silent. Nobody talking about gods or monsters or quests, just sweet lovely silence.

I lean against the hotel and let the slight breeze come over me. It's really calming I must admit. However, within just a few minutes one of the cars in the parking lot's drivers side door opens. A big round lady steps out of it. She then reaches back in and pulls out a small chihuahua not on a leash. The car door closes and she gives me a crooked smile. Yet within her eyes I notice that they're slitted like a snakes. Wait, what? She moves forward with her dog and I start to realize that something isn't right. Something isn't right at all.

And as the calmness flees my body I reach towards my pocket and realize that my jack of clubs isn't there.

Oh crud.