ch. 57

As you would expect, Percy and Annabeth got the front so Nico and I had to climb in back. I get that 'oh yay it's blue' but would it have killed them to ask for a four door Jeep? The two doors just ain't doin it. Percy also insisted that we ride with the top off, which I partially objected to because we'll be on the highway, going really fast, with lots of wind... and I have long hair. But Annabeth has long hair too and she didn't object so I got overruled.

Now however, even though my hair is is whipping me and I'm sure that it's somehow whipping Nico too (sorry Nico) I really do like the feeling of the wind. It's especially freeing and even though we have the radio on really loud I can't hear a word of the song that's playing. Assuming it's a song and not people talking. I wouldn't know, I can't hear it.

Before we left Annabeth said it was a nine and a half hour drive to Springfield, which isn't very exciting. And it's not like I brought anything to do during a car ride so all I really can do is look around at my surrounds as they rush past me. But then again the views aren't changing all that much. Trees, other cars, exit signs, Cracker Barrel sign, maybe a bird or two.

I look over at Nico. His elbow is leaning on the edge of the car and his face is leaning on his hand. He looks completely bored and done with everything, which, for as long as I've know him, is a consistent Nico look. Another thing that's consistent about him is that his skull ring that's on his hand, not the one he's leaning on, is being pushed back and forth across his finger with his thumb. He was doing that the first time I met him... which now that I think about it I didn't meet him all that long ago, but it feels like a lifetime ago. It's weird that I'm in a car going 600 miles away from where I call home with three other people that I barely know. We are related though, if that counts for anything.

About two hours in Percy gets off the interstate at some run of the mill exit with all your favorite restaurants and gas stations such as: Speedway, McDonalds, Wendy's, 7-Eleven, and Arby's.

"Hungry?" Annabeth asks.

"Not really no but I guess I could eat," Percy responds, "You paying?"

"Then why get off the interstate then?"

"You see the black Ford Escape behind us?" Percy nods to the rear view mirror.

Annabeth, Nico, and I all look back at the same time... probably not smart but whatever. The black car is right behind us. Percy turns right towards most of the buildings and the Ford does the same.

"I think it's following us," Percy says.

"It's a highway, there's no where to turn, so ya it looks like that but they probably just got hungry same time you decided to exit," Nico mutters.

"No I don't think so," Percy furrows his brow, "Wendy's or Arby's?"

"Just pick one, either is fine," Annabeth gestures towards both of the restaurants, "But why don't you think Nico is right?"

Percy turns into  Wendy's, "Well, I saw them speeding up way behind us not long after we got on the highway, then once they were right behind us they slowed way down. Never got over. Never passed us. If I changed lanes, not long after they did too. And now they've gotten off at the same exit as us? Just sounds a little suspicious to me."

"I think you're overthinking things. I mean look, they just went down to Arby's past us," Annabeth tries to reassure him.

"Ya... but if I was following someone I wouldn't want them to know either," Percy squints his eyes.

"Hi! Welcome to Wendy's how can I help you," the voice comes over the speaker for the drive thru.

"Shouldn't we park instead? Kinda gotta go to the bathroom," I pipe up.

"Oh that's true," Percy responds back to me and then turns towards the speaker, "Sorry, nevermind, we're coming in."

And with that he drives off and parks. As we get out to go inside I can tell from the look on his face he's not convinced at all that we're not be followed, and I don't like the thought that somebody's stalking us.