Chapter 13:Julie Silverscale

The battle on Valentine's ship was hard on all of us. It left us wounded and confused,and worse of all Valentine still got away. I now sit in the kitchen drinking water to cope with the body heat the healing runes created. Clary walked in lookin terrible, her fiery red hair a mess, and healing runes also decorated her arms. She grabbed a glass and filled it with water, she stared at me. "Hey Alec, Isabelle told me that today is your nineteenth birthday, that's good, we could use some good news after...that day."

  "It's nothing special, I mean the same thing will happen as it does every year. Isabelle bakes me a cake, she burns it, buys me a cake, and then I get a book or some sort of dagger from her and Jace."

  "Well aren't your parents coming home this year? Shouldn't that be good?"

  "It's probably nothing at all, just felt bad for abandoning me most of my life and think a few one week visits will patch things back together." I said that a lot more bitterly than I intended to.

  "Oh...What about Magnus, he's your boyfriend after all? Isn't he going to do something for your birthday?" I choked on my water.

  "Who told you that?!"

  "I figured it out myself, it's okay Alec I won't tell anyone, just try to have a good time today."

 "No promises." She looked confused and walked out of the room. She probably is wondering why I'm so bitter. Well for starters Jace is mad at me for hiding Magnus from him(I still haven't told him yet though), more and more people seem to be learning about my love life, Magnus has been busy with clients so he's much more disconnected to reality lately, and lastly my parents said when they come they're going to give an "announcement" for me and it has left me nervous. My parents "announcements" have never been pleasant, like when they said they're taking Max to Idris and leaving us here with Hodge(even though he isn't here anymore), a family member dying or ill, or even when they introduced me to Magnus;that wasn't pleasant because I saw him without being able to show any affection towards him with my parents around. Anyway it could literally mean anything;it could be that Clary couldn't keep her mouth shut and the information reached the clave, they could be taking us all to Idris because Hodge is gone, one of few family members we have left could've died, it's nerve raking. My thoughts of worry were suddenly cut off by Isabelle walking in with the usual cake and a plain black bag. "Happy birthday, Alec." She came over and hugged me while setting the cake down.

  "Where's Jace? He's usually here just to grab some and leave"

  "Oh he's here I just wanted to distract him while I gave you my present." Oh by the angle this can't be anything good. She handed me the black bag and I opened it to find a random assortment of things. First on top was a new copy of the Shadowhunters codex because I had lost mine, this was fairly normal but then it's Isabelle we're taling about so I kept rummaging through the bag. Besides that there was a pair of white skinny jeans and eye liner. Oh by the angel what are you planning Iz. "Iz may I ask you what's with the clothes and makeup?"

  "Do you not remember who you're dating? I'm trying to help Magnus in fact, and plus guy liner is hot, have you not seen Pete Wentz?"

  "I have no idea who that is and I have no intention in finding out, and that doesn't really give me an answer."

  "I owe him a favor, this is how I'm paying my favor."

  "And you owe him a favor for..."                                                    

"Enchanting my whip." I gave her a confused look when Jace walked in holding a seraph blade.       

  "Isabelle your were lying there are no ducks outside...Oh hey Alec, happy birthday man." He patted me on the back, stole some cake and went his merry way. This wasn't unusual for Jace, he did the same thing every year so I was used to him just leaving like that. "Soooooo Alec, are you going to visit Magnus today?"