Chapter 26: Papa Lightwood takes a visit

I know the institute only had a portal in the movie, but it does in here too :). This is just another filler, but hey, what can I do.

"You're kidding right?" I stare at Isabelle in disbelief. The closet thing I had to a best friend missing, no sign of her and her sister. Only yesterday I was happily talking with her and Isabelle, now, who knows where she is right now.

"I don't know how. Here, eat an apple." She tossed me an apple, but I dodged it. She's been trying to get me to eat more to gain weight back, not my main priority right now. My main priority is just to eat again, but Isabelle tries to give me unhealthy amounts of food just so I could be back to my old weight. Like I said, unhealthy. I'm taking it slow.

"I don't want an apple. Why isn't the Clave doing anything about this? Shouldn't they care about their own kind being taken and turned into these--things of evil. Can't Dad take it into consideration to get off his lazy ass and fight for his people?" Our dad recently got the job as Inquisitor, which gives him authority to things like this.

"Don't call him that," Isabelle pleaded.

"Why shouldn't I? I have every right. He's left this family in ruins. Mom told me my engagement was his idea, he was going to leave us, he still doesn't accept me when Mom and everyone else does, and the only reason he's still with us is because Max used to be with us. Don't tell me I can't say that because I can and will." I know I was being rude, but he deserves it now that I've learned about his previous scandals.

"Okay, okay, I get it. But if you feel that he should actually do something about it, call him. Tell him to come here and fix everything, or at least try to do something about it."

"It might just work, he liked Julie, so it might just work."

"See, you are smart. Sometimes." She batted here eyes at me in an innocent way. I got up and left her, to go make a fire message to him. Since I left my stele in the library, I just decided to make it there.

The library was always my favorite room in the institute. The smell of old books always lingered, the old artifacts simmered in their display cases, sort of like Magnus's hair-wait, no, don't think of him. The portal that stood at the back of the room, enclosed by doors decorated with runes. As a child I would always come here, just to escape all the people, and escape into another world for a while. There was a time when I climbed a latter to reach a book on a high shelf, just then Jace decided it would be funny to shake the latter. He almost broke my arm. Any time not spent training, I spent here.

We always kept paper on the shelf next to the portal, so I went to go get some along with my stele. I scribbled down the letter it read: Dear Father,

So many shadowhunters are being kidnapped by Sebastian, can't you come here to New York and try to do something about it. He mainly targeted New York, so it would be good to come here.

Sincerely, Alec.

After reading it over, I put the fire rune on the corner of the paper and it sent. I'm guessing it would take a few days for him to get it because he's busy, so when the floor started rumbling a fee minutes later, I was shocked. Out of the portal fell my Mom and Dad, both in gear. "Alec," said my Mother. She came over to me and gave me a hug. "How have you been doing? Isabelle told me, how are you holding up." This is why I've always prefered my Mother. She always has that caring feeling to her, like home should be. My Father on the other had, he's always been a bit distant to me, especially when I came out as gay.

"I-I'm doing fine, better than I was at least. But I'm fine, I'll get passed it, hopefully." The last part I said in barely a whisper. I didn't want them to think I'm childish and naïve. Also I'm lucky that my shirt covers me up to a point where they can't notice the weight loss.