Chapter 35:Chesnuts and Happines

Two Years Later.

Light snow fell outside the window and the apartment smelled like roasted chestnuts. I always did like to holidays, and now I have the chance to spend them with Alec. Sadly, the last few years Alec and I haven't been able to spend Christmas together. Luke and Jocelyn getting married, demons, Clave meetings, and more that have caused us to postpone our Christmas. Though, must I say, Luke and Jocelyn's wedding was extravagant. Nothing can match spending time with Alec though. Over the years my love hasn't shed bit, and I only love him more each day that passes. Being mortal now makes me savor our moments together, even though I know we can both provide a lifetime to each other. Alec and I are both twenty-one, even though I'm a few months older than him, which gives us plenty of time to be together.

His blue eyes, the way he laughs, those little habits that you can only notice if you look close enough, just Alec being my Alec, and more things that I love about him.

This year, since no one is particularly busy, Clary decided to host a dinner at her and Jace's house. They recently moved in together, but they still haven't tied the knot. They say it's because they're still young at nineteen and eighteen and there's no rush. All of our friends are going to be there, including Mayrse, Jocelyn, and Luke. Sadly, the youngest Silverscale girl couldn't make it because after her encounter with Sebastian her anxiety had gotten worse to a point where she has panic attacks daily. Alec had the idea of exchanging presents before we go out to dinner because we're probably going to return late and not remember the gifts, and he was particularly excited about his gift to me. Alec is new to the age-old tradition of gift giving at Christmas since Shadowhunters don't really celebrate Christmas besides a party the institute usually hosts. The New York institute hasn't done a party in ages since no one really stays at the institute. So, what has him so exited about his gift puzzles me. Speaking of my love, he walks into the living room holding cups of hot cocoa. He finally let me coax him into wearing makeup, even if it's just a small amount of eyeliner. That eyeliner does wonders for those eyes. Other than that, he wore a nice outfit for once. A blue dress shirt, a black waistcoat, black fitted jeans that also did wonders for-well you get the picture-and black dress shoes. It's like he dedicated this outfit just to make me happy. He came over to me and put the mugs on the coffee table and gives me a kiss. He lingers there for a moment, not wanting to leave my lips. After a while, he wraps his hands around my neck and nudges his head on my neck. He takes a shaky breath, lifts his head up, and kisses my cheek. "If I could invent a new saying that means more than 'I love you' I would because that's how much I really love you. You're the only man I have ever loved, so I can't say I've loved you more than anyone in my life because there's no one to compare you to. But that's okay because love is love, and I know it's love. By now I've probably over used that word, but I really can't help it. You keep me together when I'm falling apart. When I'm sinking to the ground, you pull me back up. You are my light at the end of a dark tunnel, and I cannot thank you enough for that. Every kiss has a meaning to it. It's a promise of hope, but why hope when you have everything you've ever wanted right in front of you. The day I stop loving you is the same day all of the oceans dry out and the sky turns green. It doesn't matter about our pasts, our decisions we've made, or the things we've done wrong because I love you. When I'm with you I'm at my most vulnerable state because I trust you with every part if me, and you know that and wouldn't ever take advantage of that. Sure, in the eye of others our love is forbidden because it's different, but different is good. All of your flaws and imperfections are perfect to me, and that's all that matters. No one said love was easy, if it was everyone would be in love, so for those lucky few that did find true love make it work throughout the journey. I would die for you if it came to that in the end. This seems like a bunch if random sayings about me being in love with you, but it's how I express it to you because 'I love you' isn't enough." I'm touched. The ways he says things makes him sound like a poet when it comes to something he's truly passionate about.

"Oh Alexander. All of those things are true about you too. Love goes to a great extent to find the right one, and it has found the right one for me." I lean in for a kiss, but he doges it. He has playful smirk on and who knows what he has in store for me. "C'mon Alexander. You can't expect me not to kiss you after that amazing speech."

"If you want a kiss, you have to get me first." Before I have time to process what's going on, Alec is already on his feet, got his jacket on, and went outside. Some things don't grow old, like his teasing. I'm liking this new spontaneous Alec. To see what this is about, I grab my jacket and go outside.

It's freezing. A lot colder than I thought it would be, which only makes me want to get to Alec faster. He isn't outside the door so I check the alleyway next to the building and my heart stops. There in the snow, is Alec down on one knee, holding a purple velvet box. There's a small band in the background playing a song I instantly recognized. It's "no boundaries" by the one and only Adam Lambert. Somehow I manage to get out of my daze and make my way forward. Flecks of white snow get caught in Alec's raven-black hair and his eye lashes, and his cheeks are already starting to redden from the cold, still holding out the ring. No other time has he looked so beautiful. I'm right in front of him with a huge grin that I'm sure is plastered on my face. "Magnus Bane. I am undeniably in love with you and I want to spend the rest of my life with you. If there's an afterlife, I want to spend that with you. What I'm trying to say is. Magnus Bane, will you do me the honor of becoming my husband?"

"Is this even a question? Of course." He gets up and I wrap my hands around him and kiss him likes there's no tomorrow. Even given the cold temperature, it's the warmest I've ever felt in a long time. Once we pull away, Alec gives me the ring. It's a gold band with a gap in the front. In the gap three silver rods crossing diagonally and three other gold rods cross them. To finish it off there are three equally spaced out diamonds going horizontally in the center. It's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. He puts it on my left ring finger and we kiss once more. "You know, compared to this my gift is crap."

"As long as its from you, I know it's perfect." In a few minutes we'll have to leave for dinner, which is unfortunate because I want to live in this moment forever.

I'm getting married for the first time to a man I can not deny that I love with all my being.

I absolutely loved writing this. If you guys want, I'll write Alec's family's reactions at the dinner. If you want that just let me know and it'll be written. It'll be up as soon as possible. Vote, comment, and stay awesome.