Chapter 36:An Announcement

"Are you ready for this?" Magnus gave my hand a squeeze and kissed it.

"I thinks so," I replied. The engagement ring Magnus had on was cold against my hand. "You might want to take it off for now though. Isabelle will notice it right away if you walk in with it on." I still can't believe I'm engaged now. It finally felt like it was the right time. Somehow during the engagement I hadn't messed up, blushed, or stuttered. Even though on the inside I was freaking out. It's such a big step in life, and I wanted it to be perfect. Luckily it went exactly how I wanted it to, and now I'm getting married. I can't seem to get that through my mind. It's just amazing that it's actually happening. If someone asked me five years ago if I saw myself getting married to a man, or even the high warlock of Brooklyn, I'd say they're crazy. But look at me now. "C'mon, we have a show to put on." Magnus knocked on the door, and after a moment Clary opened the door. "Hey Magnus, Alec, glad you could make it," Clary said cheerfully.

"We wouldn't miss it," Magnus said just as cheerfully.

"Come on in. Everyone is in the dinning room." Clary let us into her brightly decorated apartment. Everyone was seated with two chair to spare for the both of us. Almost everyone we knew was here. My mom, Clary's parents, my siblings, and Recently-turned-shadowhunter Simon. About a year ago Magnus was able to take away Jace's heavenly fire and transfer it to Brother Zachariah. Curing him of demon poison from centuries ago. Along with that, he was able to turn Simon into a mundane again so he could become a Shadowhunter. Somehow he became more powerful. He told me "when my father took away my immortality, I feel like he gave me something in return." For some reason he made him more powerful.

We took our seats and ate with the rest of them. Light chatter rang throughout the dinner. All was normal, but I couldn't help but be nervous. You already got the hard part down. "Alec, did you hear me?" Isabelle asked.

"Sorry, what?" She rolled her eyes at me.

"I said why were you late getting here? You don't live that far away." Magnus and I exchanged glances, and I quickly came up with an excuse. It won't work, but it'll stall things for a while.

"Well, Magnus and I were...busy I guess you could say." I involuntarily smiled at the memory that happened only so little ago.

"Okay! We don't need you to elaborate on that because by the glance you just gave Magnus and you look nervous I already know you were probably having kinky sex," Jace said with a groan.

"Jace!" Clary and my mother both said at the same time."

"What? You don't see him denying it."

"My sex life is none of your business," I stayed sternly. We all laughed it off. It wasn't until later when Magnus and I decided that it might be time to let them know. Everyone had finished eating, and people might start to leave soon. Magnus let me know my pressing the ring against my hand under the table. We look at each other one more time. Silently saying "okay." I cleared my throat and prepared what I was going to say. "Well, guys, I have something to say. An announcement," I said above the chatter.

"Well don't keep us waiting," Isabelle said."

"As you all know, Magnus and I have been together for a while, and I love him very much." I took Magnus's hand in mine. "Recently I've come to the decision that I want to get married to Magnus. That's why I was late. Magnus. Show 'em" Magnus took the ring out and put it on. Displaying it for everyone to see. It was silent for a second, then Jace broke the silence. "Now you can have all the kinky sex you want." That triggered laughs, then hugs and congratulations. Isabelle didn't settle for a hug or nice words. She went up to us both and hugged us until we couldn't breathe, and proceeded to squeal over Magnus's ring. "I knew this was going to happen! I saw you walking into the engagement ring store that one day! Congrats! Magnus, remember you promised me to be your best woman at you wedding years ago. By the Angel my brother's getting married!" Jace proceeded to make more sex jokes, but Clary shut him up by kicking him. The little red head can pack a punch. Simon awkwardly congratulated us. Luke and Jocelyn wished us a happy marriage. And my mother was last to say something. She came and gave Magnus and I a hug. "If there was a man I'd be happy handing you over to, I'd be Magnus," she said through tears.

"Mom, are you crying?"

"I'm sorry. Everything is just happening so fast. It feels like it was only yesterday I would find you asleep in the library at late hours, and your father would carry you up to to your room. So much happened in your life and I missed so much of it. I guess this is my way of saying I'm sorry for always being away."

"Aw, Mom." This time I was the one giving the hug.

"If your father was still alive I think he'd be okay with it eventually."

"Thank you." That's all I could say because I didn't know anything else.

~o~

It had become late and most of the people left, leaving only my siblings. We had all settled on the couch. Each person next to their boyfriend or girlfriend. "How does it feel to finally be engaged, Alec?" Jace asked.

"I'm kind of just glad I'm getting married to someone I'm very much in love with. I've been planning this for a while and its finally happened."

"How about wedding plans?"

"Woah, Isabelle. I've only been engaged for a few hours. All we know is that it's going to be a mundane wedding, but knowing my fiance, he probably already knows what he wants. But here is something we did agree on. We're going to wait for gay marriage to become legal in New York." It felt good to call Magnus my fiance.

"What? That could take years!"

"It also takes years to plan a wedding."

"Darling Isabelle, I've waited four hundred fifteen years to finally find someone I truly love. I think I can wait a few more to be married," Magnus said.

"So that's how old you are. Well, sort of were. Point is, that is how old you were before you considered yourself nineteen again because that's from when you'll start aging," Isabelle said in confusion.

"It's easier for everyone."

"About the wedding. I demand that I'm involved as much as possible." Isabelle slammed her hand on the table for emphasis.

"You will be, darling."

"I thought I was your darling?" I said.

"You are my darling, and my love. You're my everything." He grabbed my chin and pressed a sweet kiss to my lips. He was smiling into the kiss.

"Aww. You two are so cute. Why can't you say things like that to me?" Isabelle said to Simon. He just put his hands up in surrender.

"How about a drink to celebrate?" Jace exclaimed. Probably just to save Simon. Everyone liked this idea. Jace got out a bottle of champagne and popped the top off. He held up his glass. "A toast. To my parabatai and brother who's getting married!" Everyone cheered and we drank. I'm getting married.