thirty three

TW: hospital scenes, smoking

It was the weekend and Lauren wanted nothing more than to catch up with Camila again after giving her so much of their needed space.

"Seems you and Camila are working things out?" Clara asked as she served Lauren bacon for brunch.

"Yeah I guess we just needed some time apart." Lauren eagerly finished her food.

Clara sits opposite her, a serious look on her face. "Lauren, I know you're a strong woman. But part of me wants to protect you from the truth. Will you be well enough to handle if another one of the people you love will pass away?"

Lauren dropped her fork on her plate. She hated that she still had to get reminded at one point in her day that Camila was dying. It was like a truth too hard to accept because apart from looking like she hadn't basked in the sun, Camila looked like herself.

Her mom was asking her the inevitable. She cried about it so much times, but she knew she will never get over it. She will just get used to crying about it. You don't really get over something, you just get used to it. She tried to suppress it.

"Mom I feel you worry about me too much." Lauren stood up, hiding the uncertainty in her voice.

"Darling you know I'm just looking out for you. I don't think it's something people can really prepare themselves for." Clara said.

"I'll be fine mom. I fight my own battles remember?" She said goodbye and took her flannel shirt hanging from the rack before leaving her house.

She made her way to the Cabellos. The youngest of the family greeted her with a hug. "Kaki, Lolo is here!"

Lauren smiled at the girl. Camila came down wearing the cow onesie that Dinah had bought her. It brought an even bigger smile on Lauren's face. Camila caught on her look, "What, was it something I moo-ed?"

"Funny, Camila." Lauren sarcastically said as she stepped in and sat on the couch. Sofi laughed at Camila's joke as Camila hoisted her younger sister and put her on the couch. Lauren saw Camila grimace a bit at the action and plopped down next to Lauren, a bit short of breath.

"Hey, you trooper." Lauren said, watching her carefully.

Camila waved her off. "That's nothing."

"Kaki stop this, let's play Just Dance instead!" Sofi called, pointing at the TV that was turned to National Geographic. Lauren told Camila it was fine as she set up their Xbox. When the screen displayed the game, Sofi shrieked in joy.

Sofi picked a One Direction song, one of their older upbeat ones. It had been forever since Lauren listened to a song by the boyband and reminded her of happier times back when she was a freshman.

"I love One Direction." Camila commented, watching her sister in glee.

"Kaki, Lolo join me!" she pleaded.

Lauren looked at Camila because she was up for it. Camila thought for a second before grabbing Lauren's hand as they made their way beside Sofi.

The song started to play and Lauren forgot how fun it was to actually play those dance games. Sofi danced like a typical kid. It was Camila who surprised her, she didn't know dancing was also one of her fortes. She was so hyped up and she gave her all in her movements even if she wasn't graceful and that made up for it. It was amusing to see.

Lauren was a lazy dancer and she didn't like to flaunt it as much but rather to move as minimal as possible. Sofi ended up beating her, Camila emerging as the real winner.