thirty six

Lauren missed Camila in school, though she visited Camila at her house after school, making sure the girl didn't miss out on whatever happened in school. Camila was pretty chill, but neither of them acted like their phone call past midnight happened. Lauren kind of appreciated that because the rawness of the moment would be gone if they talked about it any further.

Lauren had prepared the plans of their road trip by then, with help from Dinah. She was anxious to ask Camila, which was ridiculous because knowing her she would probably be down for an adventure. She had been prepping for the road trip for real, as she even began practice her driving, something she hadn't done since before the accident. Clara was eager to see her daughter to drive again, and was there to cheer her on. Lauren picked it up pretty fast again after almost two years of being idle, though part of her was still scared.

When she was watching National Geographic with Camila after dinner at her house, did she get the nerve to finally ask her.

"Hey Camila," Camila didn't look at her, eyes glued on the TV screen. She just raised her eyebrows. "I was wondering if you'd want to-go on a road trip with me?"

The moment she said it, Camila whipped her head really fast towards her. Her eyes seem to light up at her words. She looked at her in disbelief, her jaw hanging open and Lauren thought she looked really adorable. "Are you serious?"

Lauren nodded. "Yeah, I got it all planned out. All I need is you." She realized the double meaning in her last sentence, so she felt herself go red at that moment but thankfully Camila was so bewildered to notice such a small detail.

"I'll ask my parents first." She got up and disappeared from the living room. Lauren closed her eyes, hoping she'd be allowed, knowing Camila is in danger of blacking out at any moment. Camila came back sooner than expected with that stupid grin of hers plastered on her face. "They said yes!"

"Great! We'll leave tomorrow since it's a long weekend."

Lauren couldn't sleep a wink that night from the excitement. She double checked her list of packed items in her duffel bag. She double checked the destination and route she had mapped out as well. When she did fall asleep, she found herself waking up really early the next day.

"Someone is very excited." Clara said teasingly as she served breakfast of toast.

"Mom, stop." Lauren felt herself go red.

"Well you take care, my dear. The most important thing is to just have fun, since this what the trip is for. To forget all the troubles you've been having recently and just relax."

"I will mom, I make sure of it." Lauren assured her. She hugged her mom goodbye as it was one of the first time she'll be away in a long time.

She grabbed her duffel bag with all of her essential stuff and put it in the trunk of her mom's car. She got into the driver's seat and started the car. She backed up into their street and parked it in front of the Cabello's driveway.

Before she could get out, she saw the door open and an enthusiastic Camila wearing a light denim jumper shorts over a plain shirt and white converse. She had a on and worn out travel case on her hand. She eagerly put the case on the backseat as Lauren unlocked the car doors.

Sinu and Alejandro appeared at the doorway, watching. Camila ran up to them and hugged them both and from the car Lauren could see how happy they looked as they watched their daughter go on one of her adventures. Quite possible her last one, but Lauren didn't want to dwell on it.

Camila went up and got to the shotgun seat and Lauren waved goodbye to Camila's parents. Camila turned to her as she closed the door, that stupid grin on her face. Lauren couldn't help the butterflies in her stomach as she'll be spending the whole day with the brunette.