thirty eight

Dinah invited both Camila and Lauren for a hang out with Ashlee, Shawn and Ariana after school. Lauren had given Camila a bit of space after their trip, not just for Camila but also for herself. She felt a bit hurt that Camila didn't bother to reach out but then she thought that Camila was going through her own thing just as she was, just a street separating them.

It was after school as Lauren joined her friends in Shawn's car. She was riding at the backseat with Dinah as Ariana rode shotgun. Lauren drowned out of the conversation between the couple and found herself watching the outside streets as they made their way to the diner.

She had told the Polynesian girl about the happenings after the road trip. Dinah had listened with a good ear, she didn't comment until Lauren was done and she felt herself open her chest cavity at the girl, for all the emotions she felt she poured out. She bared herself for Camila and she felt every bit of it. She found herself crying to Dinah after, to which the younger girl just wrapped her arms around her.

"Was it just nothing to her?" she cried.

"Nothing is ever just nothing to Camila. Just give her time." Dinah assured.

"But we do not have the luxury of time-"

"You've said what you've really wanted to Lauren, all there's left is just to see how things go. There's only so much you can do." Dinah advised.

Lauren turned to the girl next to her at the backseat and saw Dinah watch the same view she was watching. But when their eyes met, Dinah gave her a warm smile.

Lauren felt a bit better as Shawn parked the car and they all made their way to the all too familiar diner. They got a seat at the usual booth that they had occupied not too long ago. A full minute hadn't passed until Ashlee arrived with her usual garb of wearing a leather jacket over a sequined shirt.

"I'm not late aren't I?" she said.

"Right on time, Junebug." Shawn said, moving to give Ashlee space in the seat with Ariana on the end.

"Well that's nice, all we need now is Mila-" Before Dinah could finish, they all turned their heads to see Camila dressed in her usual getup, jeans a shirt and a denim jacket over it, her hair in a messy bun. Lauren could see from afar how tired she was from the dark circles under her eyes, probably from lack of sleep, but she held up.

"I've always been known to make the grand entrance." She said, with a smile to match. Ariana giggled at the comment. Lauren was a bit too excited to push Dinah to make way for Camila to sit next to her. Dinah grunted but it was all good as she seemed to let it pass.

"Okay, now let's eat." She said as she read off the menu just like the rest of the people in the table. Lauren didn't avert her eyes from Camila as she found herself staring at her as if it were the most natural thing to do. "And Lauren, do keep your eyes on the menu." Camila said a little softer for only the both to hear. Lauren felt her cheeks go red and buried her face in the menu after being caught.

Lauren turned to Camila, whose lips were curled at the end as a smirk. She shook her head at disbelief at how annoying Camila was playing her now, so far unlike what she had expected.

When they had all ordered, Lauren tried to make herself feel more calm but she knew the power the other girl had over her and now especially now that the other girl knew her sentiments.

She wished she could recall everything that they talked about but if someone were to ask her, she wouldn't be able to recall. She was too preoccupied and she knew it was stupid that she was still feeling a bit of the butterflies but she couldn't help it.

Dinah tapped her fork on her milkshake glass that caught everyone's attention. "I know it seems to early but can we all have a drink to my best friend, Camila."