Chapter twenty-one

Alex's POV

Shit!

Shit!

Fuck!

Fuck!

Oh fuck!

How?

How could I possibly let this happen?

How could I let something like this happen to the love of my life?

It's all my fault. He warned me that bad things would happen. I'm such a fucking idiot that I never realized what might happen to him, too.

I sit in empty hall with my head against the wall, next to his door. I intwine my fingers around the back of my head trying to contain the tears and the anger that will not stop flowing out of me. The waiting is torture. There is no one here, not that I want anyone here now.

The treasure I have held for so long is now in a place like this. I promised to never let anything happen to him. He knew this would happen, and I didn't listen. I'm such an idiot.

There're no nurses, doctors, patients, visitors, nada. The only way I know that there is actual life in this hospital is behind the ICU door I sat next to, where many nurses and doctors were taking care of my James.

They have been in there for 3 hours now and no one, except for a nurse with bloody sheets, has come out. Nonetheless, talk to me or told me anything about him or what is happening.

How could I have left him alone with all those angry, homophobic beef heads? What happened when I left? Why wasn't I their?

The tears begin streaming down my face again. They blur my vision and I hope they do because I cannot stand the sight of this world anymore. What it has come to.

Whimper and sob into my palms, while I sit alone in the empty hallway, until, I feel another presence next to me. I don't acknowledge whoever it is because I already don't recognize the foreign feel of the person. I continue to sob until the person speaks.

"Um... Alex?"

I look up from my palms and see a very small boy through my teary eyes. I don't recognize him, but I can see he is hiding something.

"What is it?" I try asking in a respectful voice that I can manage at this moment.

The boy slides down the wall and sits next to me with about a six inch gap in between us. He first looks down at his shaking hands that he lets rest in his criss-cross lap.

He finally looks up from his hands and into my eyes.

"My name's Jake. I'm a freshman in your guys' Gym. James was really nice to me because he would try and help me through the times I was getting bullied. He would stand up for me sometimes too and tell them to leave me alone. And now when he's the one who needed it, I didn't do anything to help him." he says with melancholy laced in his voice.

I've never noticed this freshman before, nor have I ever seen James talk to him. Did he say he was there when it happened?

"Were you there?" with now urgency laced in my voice.

"Yea..." he answers in almost a whisper while he hugs his knees to his chest.

"Tell me. Tell me everything you saw!" I make clear how important this is without trying to sound intimidating.

"I will tell you that and more."

{~FLASHBACK~} [Jake's POV]

"I don't give a fuck anymore because I'M GAY, DEAL WITH IT!" James screams at the guys glaring at him. I see one guy, I think his name is Cody, smile at him. Maybe he's changing their minds? There is that one jock who seems happy.