Chapter 11

I sat myself on my couch as I listened to my phone ring. I know I have dialed the correct number. Unless he didn't actually give me his number.

"Hello?" A man's voice questioned.

"Hi, this is Lexi Heywood. I'm trying to get a hold of Mark." I said sweetly not really sure if it was Mark who had answered the phone.

"This is Mark" he chuckled.

"Oh hi, I was wondering if you wanted to grab some lunch with me." My voice was full of sickly sweetness.

"I would love to Miss Heywood." I couldn't tell if he was trying to be a smart ass or just being polite.

"Meet me at Jitters in 20 then?" I asked standing up from my couch.

"I'll be there" then the line went dead.

I grabbed my keys and headed back out of my apartment while dialing Barry's number this time.

"Hey Lexi what are you planning?" He asked worriedly.

"Be at Jitters in about 20 minutes. I'm meeting Mark there for lunch. You keep your distance let me do the talking." I informed him quickly as I walked out of my building.

"If I don't like how it's going then I'm putting a stop to it instantly." Barry's voice was stern again.

"I'll be fine Barry." I hung up so I could focus on driving to the cafe.

I looked decent but not good enough for a date so that made things a little easier. I didn't want him thinking this was a date because it so is not.

Once I made it to Jitters I went inside to find a seat. To my surprise Mark was already there. He was sitting at a table alone with two cups of coffee. I couldn't help the smile on my face as I made my way over to him.

"Hey there" I said to get his attention.

He looked up to me and smiled. He gestured for me to have a seat across from him. I chuckled and sat down. He scooted one of the coffees across the table to me.

"I didn't know what you liked so I just guessed and got you a flash." He gestured to the coffee.

"Well that was a brilliant guess then." I laughed taking a sip of the warm drink.

"So, what happened for you to want me to meet you for lunch?" He asked watching me closely.

"I wanted to make sure I had full choice over my future. Some weird things have happened to me recently and I just wanted a little bit of normal. Well as close to normal as I can get anyway." I laughed thinking what that meant for me.

"How about we go for a walk then. It's such a nice day out." His smile was infectious.

I couldn't help smiling back. I nodded and we both got up and left the cafe. I glanced behind me to see a worried Barry and an unknown gorgeous girl on his arm. His eyes met mine and he shook his head trying to tell me not to go with Mark.

I followed Mark down the street to the small park by the coast. He sat down on one of the benches patting the seat next to him.

"So tell me more about yourself Miss Heywood." He smiled looking out at the water.

"Well, I'm a historian and I run the university history department. I did run it along side my brother but he decided he wanted to travel with some friends so I'm left doing it alone now." I couldn't help staring at him as I spoke.

He was actually very attractive and I couldn't look past that. His gaze fell to me and a smirk played at his lips.

"A historian? Really?" He arched a brow at me.

I laughed and nodded.

"I know super boring right?" I asked still smiling.

"Not at all" his smile was perfect and bright.

"What about you?" I asked hoping to get something to help Barry and the team.

"Just a man trying to move on after loosing his brother." His voice was low.

"I'm so sorry. I had no idea." I blurted out without thinking.

To my surprise Mark chuckled. I just looked at him with a mixture of confusion and amazement clear on my face.

"Its cool" he spoke softly.

His small half smirk was heartfelt and genuine. It gave me the sudden urge to hug him. It was an odd feeling.

"What did you mean by having full choice over your future?" Mark asked glancing back out to the water.

I shrugged trying to find an easy way to word my life.

"I was told I was meant to be with this guy and I just don't like not being able to choose who I want myself. I believe life is what we make it. I don't want fate or destiny to tell me what I'm suppose to do." I explained the best I could.

Mark chuckled again then turned back to face me. He gave me a good slow once over before slightly shaking his head.

"You are incredibly intriguing." He smiled brightly at me.

My phone started buzzing in my pocket forcing me to stand up. I pulled it out of the denim. Barry Allen's name and picture appeared on the screen. I slightly shook my head before answering.

"Hey what's up?" I asked trying to sound normal.

"I'm going in we can't let Mardon get away." His voice sounded muffled by several different noises in the background.

"But I have it under control" I whispered slightly turning away from Mark.

A rush of air went past me almost knocking me over. I shoved my phone back in my pocket. I put my hands on my hips like a scolding mother before meeting the Flash's eyes. He had a hold of Mardon keeping his hands bound.

"I told you I had it under control." I chided the man in red.

"We will talk about this once Mardon is detained." He sighed shaking his head at me.