RtR, Pt7: Game of Shadows

You slowly turned around in your bed, cringing when you felt your wounds protest. This is amazing. Here you were, utterly defeated.

Pathetic.

You were never meant to be a Grand General or a Crown Princess. You were weak. There was a reason all you were before Amelia became blind was a clumpsy silly girl that had a dream. And after today... you couldn't believe how stupid you really were. Starting a revolution against Father? You could barely scratch him and you... aren't capable of moving. The difference in power between the two of you was too much.

Slowly you started crying. "Fool fool fool fool..." you whispered softly to yourself. "Amelia, Bon-chan, Koala... Sabo, I hope you are all okay. This is all my fault..."

"Now now, this is not a time to cry, dear."

You looked over at the door of your room. "Mother?" You called out. Queen Andrea stood in the opening, smiling kindly to you. She walked in and closed the door. You were confused. What was she doing here?

"M-mother, what are you-"

"I have to admit, never would I have thought you and your sister would rebel against us. Honestly, I thought the both of you were too stupid to figure it out. What a turn of events. Well, it all went wrong when those noisy Revolutionairies entered though." Mother said, keeping her honeysweet smile, "Oh darling, did you think I wouldn't notice? Have you forgotten I was the Grand General before Amelia? And I'm not as, forgive me, weak as you are. I sensed them the moment they entered your room that night. But I found it all so interesting that I let all of this happen. However, it's not funny anymore."

You just stared horrified at her as she sat next to you, patting your head. "Your sister defeated our Yin. And that brat is on his way to my Balance." She almost whispered.

Andrea cocked her head to the side when she noticed your fear. "Oh? Don't you know the Legendary Yin Yang Myth? They say that every century two sets of Balances are created to maintain the peace within Sleen Kingdom. The Balance of Chaos and the Balance of Peace. Each set having Yin and Yang. Yin being the darkness and Yang being the light. Each parallel element defeats the other. Do you understand now, love? You and your little chaos are destroying our peace. I honestly didn't want to do this, because I love you, but I came to stop you. Yang defeating the other Yang. " She explained. You finally regained your senses.

"Amelia defeated their Yin? Father's and Mother's Yin? Does she mean... Brin? Is he... also evil? And Mother is Yang, following her logic. And if every elements fight their...

Then I am Yang, Amelia's Yin and the brat she describes... Sabo... is our Balance of Peace. We aren't the chaos here! I got it! We three are the Peace, while Brin is Yin, Mother is Yang and Father is the Balance of Chaos! We were destined to defeat eachother! But I won't let that happen!"

"... I never wanted to hurt my parents, the people I loved very dearly. But as a princess - no, as the Grand General, I have to think of the safety of my Kingdom first! And you are right, I am weak, but I have my friends at my side! I will defeat you!" You exclaimed with courage. Queen Andrea was not slightly surprised.

"And I know this too. You are my blood after all. Strong-willed." She kept smiling.

"Because I don't like physical fights, I prefer a mental one. What do you say?"

You narrowed your eyes. "She doesn't know I can't move?"

"If I remember your power... it's a battle of dreams, right?" You ask.

"Indeed, darling, very good! The Yume Yume No Mi (Dream Dream Fruit) allows me to enter someone else's dream or to take someone into mine. It's a little game. Are you prepared to play?" She asked. You nodded.

"Then into paradise we go! Sleep!"

--- --- ---

You woke up a misty and cold place, surrounded by naked trees and shadows. The sky was black, purple and red and unhuman screeches made this creepy world complete. You stood up and saw Mother sitting on a throne made of bones. "Welcome in the Shadow Realm, Dear, the world of my game. A shadow game, that is. It's very simple: follow the rules of the game and try to defeat your opponent. If you fail or break the rules, you will be stuck in this world for all of eternity. But, I decided to keep it fair. Would be cruel if I had decided everything beforehanded, am I right?" She said, her soft smile replaced with a dark smirk. She did keep her kind gaze however. "This is the Wheel of Games. Spin the wheel, darling, and decide the game we'll play." Mother explained while pointing at the Wheel. It looked like an ordinary wheel, like a Wheel of Fortune. But the names of the games were hidden behind post-its. You walked forward, fear creeping up in your legs.

"What kind of games are on this? Throw of Knifes, Russian Roulette, Pick-a-finger-to-kill..."

You spinned the wheel.

"Whatever it is, I'll be ready for it! I won't lose now!"

The Wheel slowly came to a stop.

"The game we'll play is-!"

The wheel stopped, revealing the game.

"Chess it is!" Mother exclaimed happily as it was one of her favorite games.

"... Chess? That's your shadow game?" You sweatdropped. "Well, now that I think about it... Yang represent light. So her games can't be necessarily dark."

"The normal rules of Chess will be obeyed, as well this rule: the chess pieces represent a certain part of our body. If you lose a piece, you lose the function of that body part. Losing all pawns equals losing your hearing. Losing all knights equals losing your left hand. Losing all bishops equals losing your right hand. Losing all rooks equals losing your left eye. Losing the Queen equals the right eye. And finally, losing the King... means losing the heart." She told you while revealing the chess board and pieces. A second throne and a table rose from the ground - also made from bones - opposite from Queen Andrea and she placed the game on the table.

"... Okay, now that's fucked up."

You walked over to the throne and sat on it. "Those bones belong to my previous challenges. Maybe you'll join them ~♡!" She giggles darkly, making you cringe. You inspected the board. "So I play with white... that means that I make the first move and she can counterreact. Clever."

"May the best player win!" Andrea said and clapped her hands.

The game begun.